Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Footprints on lunar surface

For a super detailed iteration I think that animating a displacement map would work as others have mentioned.  That's probably how I'd try and tackle it.

Yep, even though I got the collision version working at every turn, I couldn't pretend that was an easy or trouble-free process, and trying to animate a lot of those footsteps on a surface that dense is going to be quite a frustrating experience. My machine often ground to a halt just trying to do 1 ! There was a lot of turning the Collision Deformer off and on again to get it to work properly :/

So now I'm gonna have go with the flow, and also recommend animated displacement as being the best way forward now...

So one question we could ask OP is 'Do you know how to make a depth map from a 3D model ?'...

CBR

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, even though I got the collision version working at every turn, I couldn't pretend that was an easy or trouble-free process, and trying to animate a lot of those footsteps on a surface that dense is going to be quite a frustrating experience. My machine often ground to a halt just trying to do 1 ! There was a lot of turning the Collision Deformer off and on again to get it to work properly :/

So now I'm gonna have go with the flow, and also recommend animated displacement as being the best way forward now...

So one question we could ask OP is 'Do you know how to make a depth map from a 3D model ?'...

CBR

I'm not sure in C4D because I normally do it in Mudbox.  I'm guessing you can make a brush in the sculpt tools?  I've attached a super quick and dirty version to test as a proof of concept  I used a photo of the moon boot footprint as a stencil in Mud as a proof of concept.  Animating a ramp over this could make it look like the print is being made without the boot.....  edit - Now that I think of it, you could likely apply a vertical ramp to the foot model and render that out to bake a greyscale depth map...

Displacement Map_g60.png

Moon Boot Normal.png

We are helped considerably by the fact that moon boots don't roll on to the surface as a normal shoe might - they are big and clumpy and unwieldy and because of lack of gravity they just plonk on to the ground in one hit when they land from a step, which should make animating that much easier  :)

CBR

1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

We are helped considerably by the fact that moon boots don't roll on to the surface as a normal shoe might - they are big and clumpy and unwieldy and because of lack of gravity they just plonk on to the ground in one hit when they land from a step, which should make animating that much easier  :)

CBR

We never landed on the moon ;) haha. 

Just now, anglereserve said:

We never landed on the moon ;)

No, I just won't rise to it :)

CBR

24 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Make a plane under the model then put a bake tag on the plane.  Click on  Displacement as what you want to bake, select the high geometry surface with the boot print as the Source, hit bake.  3Dcoat could also be used.

13 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

Make a plane under the model then put a bake tag on the plane.  Click on  Displacement as what you want to bake, select the high geometry surface with the boot print as the Source, hit bake.  3Dcoat could also be used. 

That's handy, so I guess you could lay all the boot prints out and then bake it all at once or animate them and bake out an animated texture?

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, anglereserve said:

That's handy, so I guess you could lay all the boot prints out and then bake it all at once or animate them and bake out an animated texture?

And all these techniques only to get some footprints working :) ...

• Topic Author
  • 20 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Not sure how this works...is this how it suppose to look? (see the image...that pink spot is the separate high geometry plane which has the footprint done with Collision deformer)

541 Mar. 30 22.30.jpg

23 hours ago, anglereserve said:

I would bake out one boot print and mirror that for the opposing foots boot print.  After that put the texture on a plane and copy the plane as many times as needed.  After the foot hits in that spot, then animate the plane going from Disabled to Enabled.