Hi C4D Community!  First time poster here with a question about fields.

I am new to R20 and loving it! I was trying to wrap my mind around some of the new features and playing with the Decay modifier layer in the fields system.  I had a simple set up with a plane object, displacer deformer, and spherical field.  The deformer was loaded with a solid color to simply push the plane up 100 units.  Using fields I also set up a decay modifier on top of the spherical field.  I animated the field along a helix to get some motion.  Everything looked good except when I started cranking up the speed on my field animation I got unexpected results--it is as if the field is only being interpreted each frame and so the decay was spotty instead of being seemingly continuos.  When I run in to issues like this with other systems like dynamics or x-particles my go-to solution is to go look at sub-frame or sub-step settings.  is there nothing like that for the fields system? or has anyone determined a workaround for this, or am I just missing a checkbox somewhere?  Thanks in advance! and apologies if a question like this has been asked previously.  I dug around a bit but didn't see any questions like this.

The Delay modifier in fields seems to suffer from the same problem... I must be missing a switch somewhere.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 2.15.02 PM.png

We should ask @Hrvoje about that.

Also pls update your profile to the correct version !

CBR

Hi and :welcome: to the Cafe

Decay layer works like this due to MoGraph specifics. In this case you can resolve this easily by adding smoothing deformer after displacer and setting higher iteration number, I will guess and say 100 since there is no scene  attached

Hope this helps!

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Hrvoje!  I really appreciate your time.  The Smoothing deformer is exactly what I needed--thank you!