Sptmbr

Lightning a crystal/glass

Hey guys,

how would you light a crystal like this in standard/physical renderer?

I tried it myself and played with a 3 point-lightning and with the specular-channel on the material of the crystal but my attempts are not even close to "themutoff"s crystal.

He/She wrote that they used Octane for this but I'm pretty sure it's doable in standard/physical but I don't get the correct lightning for this :( Could you help me with this?

Yep that's possible to a large extent in Cinema, although it will take some skill and experimentation to find the right materials and lighting setup.

Have you tried an HDRI with a bright sun (or studio lights) somewhere in it, applied to a sky object and Hidden from Camera with a Compositing Tag, either just doing reflections, and in conjunction with regular area lights, or with GI, in which case no lights required ?

CBR

• Like 1

Your material settings very important too. You need a colour channel set to 1% black, transparency set to 99%, and with a refraction index suitable for the type of crystal this is (probably 1.5-1.8 sort of range), with Exit Reflections turned off, then a Beckman Reflectance channel with a Dieletric Fresnel, a reflection level of 50% and no specular at all. You can also use the Thin film shader to get that oily sheen, which goes in the color map slot of a secondary reflectance layer, in Additive mode over the first.

CBR 

• Like 2

@Cerbera I love it that people like us can spout all that off, probably without even opening Cinema!  I think you're right on!  Definitely need to use an HDRI to get those nice reflections.  I'll add that you'll need some sort of grunge texture applied to the reflection roughness.  There's also a subtle chromatic aberration going on with the refraction, but I don't think this is possible with any of the built-in renderers.  I'm a RedShift guy myself, so I could be wrong since I barely ever use the standard materials/renderers anymore.  You could fake it by rendering passes and comping in AE, adding a chromatic aberration effect on the refraction channel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your help. I tried it like you said. Set up a sky with a studio-hdr, created a material like @Cerbera said and rendered it in physical with 5% Shading Error Threshold. This is my results:

tFpfobp.png

with these settings:

RwcJO8N.png

10p7oiG.png

This is the crystal with the smudge-layer only:

DICg8pZ.png

What am I doing wrong here? Wrong HDRi?

You want an HDRI that is pretty much black and white - I'd use Uffuzi from the content browser, in a filter to make it greyscale ( -100% saturation).

But that might not be the only issue. It looks like you have the default light turned on. If there is no lighting in the scene that will be there until you turn it off in render options, or until you turn on GI, which replaces it.

CBR

• Like 2

If you still can't get it with those tips, upload your project file and we can take a look.