Jennifer

Add object to a moving object in the vid

Hey everyone, 

I have a footage of a man pushing an empty palette, now I want to add a cube on top of the palette and obviously preserve the correct perspective, angle etc. Also, the cube must be "stuck" to the palette in terms of movement, what I mean by that is that the cube must move with the exact same speed as the palette in the video. On top of that, there should be an AO underneath the cube and some natural shadows, it means that i'd have to recreate the aprox geometry of the moving palette right? 

I know there is such thing as motion tracking, but I believe for that you need to have a minimum of 9 high contrast markers on the object in the video, now the video i'm working with doesn't have any markers besides the natural contrast, i can probably find 9 different places on the palette to track it. not sure My question is, will Cinema be able to track the actual moving object in the video? Oh the video was filmed on a tripod, so no camera moves involved, super static. 

I know it sounds hella complicated, hence I'm here ;( Please please please ;)

It's impossible to tell if your footage is trackable without seeing it, but my guess is that it is.  Try following this tutorial:

And yes, for shadows/AO you'll either have to re-create the geometry of the palette or do some clever compositing in After Effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer said:

My question is, will Cinema be able to track the actual moving object in the video? Oh the video was filmed on a tripod, so no camera moves involved, super static. 

I'd guess not if I had to, and we must remember that Object Tracking was brand new in R18, so you may have one of the earliest versions of it, which is not as capable as more recent iterations. I think best bet is just to try it and see... Captain Natester has found you the best tutorial for that sort of thing, so just get in there and see what works...

CBR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Cerbera you pessimist! 

But seriously, I probably was a bit too optimistic, wasn't I?  People ask me all the time if footage can be tracked, and my guess is right about 50% of the time!   XD

Lols. Yes I would be most happy to be proved wrong. We shall see won't we ? :)

CBR

Thanks guys!!! Sounds like I'm destined to fail already haha  

2 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Thanks guys!!! Sounds like I'm destined to fail already haha  

if you up the source footage, I can possibly give some suggestions but like @natevplas mentioned, without seeing it it's hard to say what you are dealing with.

1 hour ago, natevplas said:

@Jennifer any luck with tracking?

Haha not at all. I just tossed the entire idea in the bin..  Went with After Effects 3d tracker instead ;) 

Does that work for object tracking?

According to your asking terminology, i mean the way of your asking, i understand that you have not used C4D object tracker before. You can probably do that thing inside C4D easily. A palette is moving in footage, you only want to add a load on it. Not complicated. You don't need to have a cinematic, mocap ready marked scene or green screen for this. Cinema creates automatically or follows your certain points on footage (by calculating the contrast HSL of pixels etc.) and tracks. I made it on videos that taken by phone cameras, low quality. I guess there is no reason to say no unless you have a very bad footage or quick sharply changing angles.