Possibly. I can try a version where every object has its own Skin Deformer before adding the Weight Tags.

I thought the Skin Deformer was just like the other C4D Deformers where it can be a child of an object or in the same group and have the same effect. It has an Include tab which makes me think that one Skin Deformer can affect multiple objects. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Skin Weights tags are independent of the Skin Deformer. If I export them, the Weights file doesn't have any reference to the Skin Deformer.

Have you encountered issues because of this in the past?

Thank you for the replies and effort!

3 hours ago, blastframe said:

Possibly. I can try a version where every object has its own Skin Deformer before adding the Weight Tags.

I thought the Skin Deformer was just like the other C4D Deformers where it can be a child of an object or in the same group and have the same effect. It has an Include tab which makes me think that one Skin Deformer can affect multiple objects. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the Skin Weights tags are independent of the Skin Deformer. If I export them, the Weights file doesn't have any reference to the Skin Deformer.

Have you encountered issues because of this in the past?

you are correct.  no need to parent the skin object to your mesh. your issue is with the spline ik most probably. i'll take a look at it later, but to be frank i think a spline ik for the eyelid is overkill, you can get every thinkable eyelid pose with 3 joints for the upper lid and 3 joints for the lower lid, without having to deal with a clunky spline ik.

• Like 1

Thank you, everfresh.

I'd learned Cartoon Eye Rigging in Maya and was trying to implement some of those concepts.

I believe my jitter issues are from the Spline-IK tag. In researching this issue, I've read about it affecting other people's rigs as well. Do you (or digitvisions) use it at all? It doesn't seem worth it if the joints aren't going to reset to correct positions.

3 minutes ago, blastframe said:

Thank you, everfresh.

I'd learned Cartoon Eye Rigging in Maya and was trying to implement some of those concepts.

I believe my jitter issues are from the Spline-IK tag. In researching this issue, I've read about it affecting other people's rigs as well. Do you (or digitvisions) use it at all? It doesn't seem worth it if the joints aren't going to reset to correct positions.

i do use spline ik... a lot. for arms and legs... and tails. but spline ik never comes without headaches in my experience. it's much more stable when your chain and spline is perfectly straight initially. but there are tricks to overcome the twist issues. up-vectors can help to prevent the unwanted twisting... take a look at the file, i added upvector constraints for the left upper eyelid chain, no shifting anymore...

in a perfect world we could have a spline ik where the joints just wouldn't twist if set to none and where the twist is perfectly controllable with handles if it is set to be able to twist, without any hacks.

ShiftingVertices_fix.zip

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, everfresh said:

i use a much simpler setup for the eyelids, very easy to set up and comfortable to animate.

https://gyazo.com/241bf599366d436b290546eb17cd66e3

That's awesome! So is the center controller controlling one joint? Is there any aiming or rotation happening to the joint?

1 hour ago, everfresh said:

take a look at the file, i added upvector constraints for the left upper eyelid chain, no shifting anymore...

Also, thank you so much for doing this. It works! And now that I know what went wrong, I can try a simpler setup :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blastframe said:

That's awesome! So is the center controller controlling one joint? Is there any aiming or rotation happening to the joint?

the center controller controls 3 targets. to different percentages depending on the direction you move it. each target has also a child target, so that i can move the parent targets up and down by moving the controller in y, and also move them up and down at the same time by moving the controller in x. 

i'm using target tags instead of aim constraints, because aim contraints unfortunately have a bug, they don't behave correctly when a parent null or joint is scaled. 

• Awesome 1

Wow, thank you! I'm going to give this a go. ::): Have a fantastic weekend and thanks again for the huge help!