Vertex Helix

"Love Death & Robots"

I just finished watching a new Netflix series called "Love Death & Robots", and I have to admit not only it was quite a trip (at least visually), but it featured some of the best Cinematic 3D work I have witnessed the past few years.

For the ones old enough to remember there's a definite "Metal Hurlant magazine/Heavy Metal movie 1981" feel to the whole set up and David Fincher is behind it. 

The photorealistic episodes (there's episodes in stylized 2D as well) rely on Photogrammetry and Motion Capture heavily. Character animation on occasion could use some polishing,  but texturing and lighting is off the charts. I suspect Arnold is behind the hair, but I am not sure if it was the main render engine. I am pretty sure each episode was subcontracted to a different studio. 

I thought about posting about this the other day - awesome series ! :)

The first one particularly - Sonnie's Edge was pretty breathtaking... but really enjoyed most of them...

CBR

I also thought the entire series was pretty amazing visually.  Relative to Sonnie's Edge, while visually striking (the beasts were amazing), the violence at the end actually made me a bit queasy.  Watching her head get crushed and eyeballs pop out was bad enough...but then having the guy stick his cane into her crushed flesh and pull up a loose flap left me wanting to tell Blur Studios (whom I highly respect) and Dave Wilson (the director) that just because you can render and animate something doesn't necessarily mean you should. 

Same sentiments can apply to "The Secret War"  -- sorry dead bodies of children with the backs ripped open or lying blood covered against the cabin really added nothing to the story.  There was enough dismembered body parts lying around to convey the plot point that these critters were nasty.  Also watching a soldier with his head half ripped off fall in slow motion was another queasy moment for me as well.  You could trim some of those scenes and nothing would be taken away from the excitement of the story which was very good.

Just because they are digital characters does not make it okay to push the gore to new heights -- especially now when the characters are becoming so real.  That is my only criticism to what was otherwise an outstanding anthology that definitely bears repeat watching (except the first and last episodes -- my stomach can only take soo much).

Dave

P.S. For those who may disagree, then consider the following before you reply:  If people love watching gore in movies and games, then have we evolved much since the days of the Roman Empire when gladiators used to kill each other in Colosseum as public entertainment?  Just a thought in case anyone thinks that we are an advanced society that has evolved to a new age of enlightenment.

• Like 1

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

I agree w/ you Dave, though I come from a non-religious...more humanist standpoint. I lost interest during the second short due to it’s violent revelry. I won’t try to convince anyone else about the merits/demerits of such content. Didn’t work for me. ...just turned me off.  Left me sad & hollow.

I won’t pretend that I’m consistent as I sometimes watch quite violent shows. 

First segment was whimsical and fun and I was all in at that point. Oh well...

I am okay with violence, provided the violence serves the story and is not just mayhem for mayhem's sake.  I can't tell you how many times I've watched Game of Thrones (including right now to get ready for the final season) even though that show has some violence that puts Love, Death and Robots to shame.  But I enjoy every episode because I am emotionally invested in the characters...and that is the difference.    Does the violence serve the story....does it help make the villain more evil or the hero/heroin more heroic?  As long as I am rooting for the character(s), then the violence does not bother me as much.   As long as it makes the danger more real or give you a taste of what things are really like  (as in the opening battle in "Saving Private Ryan"), then it is necessary.

I just felt that some of the violence in LD&R could have been dialed back a bit and not taken anything away from the story points...and that is the test point on why I felt it was unnecessary and gratuitous.   Again....just because you can render it doesn't mean you should.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

It is a spectacular collection of work.  I feels like a mix of Twilight Zone with modern sci fi.

I would guess many studios contributed, but some studios did multiple pieces.  I'm guessing the render engine they used is Redshift as the light bounces are too good for Arnold.

As for the blood and gore it seems people here think we have evolved past violence.  With all the violence on TV, video games, movies, bar fights, and constant wars in many parts of the world it seems we are a very violent race.  More so than any other species on our planet.  Predators usually only hunt for food.  We can destroy only to destroy.  If anything the huge constant wars between our own people have made the more docile die out and have made the ones that love battle live on.  We probably have become more violent over the centuries.

I am desensitized to the sort of violence in this to a large extent, not because I see a particularly excessive amount of it, but because I get sucked out of the horror of the moment by the technicality of the achievement. Those creatures in Ep 1 were UTTERLY brutal. but were one of the most impressive things I've seen for while, and any empathy I may have for the predicament of 3D characters is largely stymied by the brilliance of the execution (and I mean that in both senses !).  It's damn hard to realistically smash a 3D face, and bloody reds are a great colour scheme :)

The sheer volume of violent content available isn't necessarily indicative of a world that is more violent than it used to be (aggregate long-term data suggests the very opposite; that now is the least violent time in all of earth's history - there is slow, gradual upward curve toward enlightenment values and away from violence. Personally, I value that the only violence I am exposed to is safely delivered to mostly fictional characters in our entertainment media, where of course it has a justified place as one of the more unsavoury parts of the human condition...

• Like 2

As awesome as the animation is I agree the show comes by as animators horror show off pieces with thin story in most cases. But I would have loved to work on it ;)

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity

I thought the series was great. but even though the photorealism was good. I was expecting better to be honest. I would have thought by now.. making totally lifelike characters would be easier and closert to reality.. also I wish they had less nudity to be honest. I would love to show these to my kids, but with the nudity, sex, language and ofcourse crazy violence i cant, atleast for now

i loved all of them , 3 robots was hilarious especially :D

• Like 1

Do not forget animating believeable human faces is still by far the most challenging task in cg. Making stills of them is possible now but as soon as they move it gets incredibly difficult. I guess to bring it to the highest Level would simply have exploded the budget and time frame for such a show.

R18, Octane, Vray, Cycles, Zbrush, AE, Marvelous Designer, Substance Designer, Affinity

• Topic Author
  • Agreed, the human face and its expression is something we know so well, that its interpretation is inherent within the species: meaning, the viewer can't be fooled. Just 2 frames off and the animation is rendered immediately fake. I'm certain  mocap was used in the series for both body and face animation, but miniscule differences between sculpted morphs and the actual facial morphs can account for fakeness.

The animation I liked best was the "Beyond the Aquila Rift" episode. My props to the animators and the studio that produced that (I'm green with envy!)