Sign in to follow this  
Mark Bilotta

Advice needed for Hobbit Hole Model

So I am trying to recreate Biblo's house from the famous Lord of the Rings movies, but I need some direction with creating the entrance, I already created the circular door i.e. very simplistic flattened circle. What I need direction with is making the constructed portion that connects the door to the res of the hill. In the picture below, I am talking about the yellow painted and brick formed wall with the windows. 

Thank you to anyone who can help. 

bilbo.jpg

Oh you've come to the right place ! :) I modelled a diorama of Gandalf's Cutting a few years back...

26-Gandalfs-cutting-034A.thumb.jpg.862e232d2b4ef5f8b215f5146d31a302.jpg

To get the frame of the circular door you just need to do some basic modelling.

Get a disc object the same size as whatever you used to make your circular door, but make it slightly bigger, and then give it an inner radius of slightly smaller than the outer edge of the door frame. Then you can just select rows of edges and extrude them out in square form, like this...

1252438981_HobbitDoorFrame.thumb.jpg.3d4e86d2f982193c86c20790695a3f52.jpg

1. Start with a disc. 16 segments is probably enough.

2. Edge Mode, Select the uppermost 4 edges, hold ctrl, and drag them out, then hold shift and scale them flat on Y.

3. Do the same for the sides, but this time scaling on X...

4. Close the gaps by extruding the edges next to them, using vertex snap to get them precisely aligned. Then weld the coincident points.

5. Add more extrusions to boundaries by ctrl-dragging with the move tool until you have the sort of dimensions you need, then, select all polys, get the Extrude tool, tick Create Caps and then add thickness to the wall by dragging right in the viewport...

CBR

• Like 3

I did have some question about you went constructing the front textures? I have Cinema 4D Studio 19, did you pay for them? 

No I didn't pay for them - I made them all procedurally I think, except maybe some wood textures, which you can just get off google. Materials for this sort of thing don't take that long once you know how to add damage and wear (I'll link you up with the video for that later)...

The brick wall is a particularly decent texture made entirely with Cinema's brick shader, which is excellent.

And I think I did this in R16, so you will have no problem in R19, although if your profile is correct, you should update to the latest version of R19 - .24 had a lot of bugs that were fixed in subsequent updates as I recall...

CBR

7 minutes ago, Mark Bilotta said:

Thank you so much sir. Did you use hair for the grass textures btw? 

Very much so. 15 hair systems in total, and several million hairs. Hair is doing all the flowers and plants as well.

This was rendered (and still should be if not using a third party renderer) using Cinema's Standard Render, for which the hair system was designed.

That remains MUCH faster and better than Physical Render for hair. It looks better too.

CBR

Cerbera, I want to thank you very much for your suggestions, but I have had difficulty with using your directions, I hope you can give me some direction:

Where is Edge mode located? I have search on Cinema 4D and I can't find it. is there a video that demonstrates that ? Since I haven't been able to select edge mode, I haven't been able to apply the following directions after this. Is there a video the documents how this can be done? Also, for the grass. did you sculpt the hill by hand ? I understand how to create hair, but where did you get the flowers from ? Just from content browser correct?

Thank you very much,

mb635

Edge Mode is here in your left toolbar (the one selected blue)

edgemode.jpg.7333148be64134adbef00c1cd3c5741d.jpg 

Yes, I made the hill by standard subdivision surface poly modelling, starting with a box primitive as I remember.

The flowers I also made (1 of each type) from polygons before using them as instances for the hair.

You will need to have a basic idea of how to do polygon modelling to be able to do all these things. There are hundreds of tutorials on youtube - just gotta take the time to watch a few and learn the tools...

CBR