mrittman

Sound Track - Start Time

• Topic Author
  • Oh that’s interesting, thanks for sharing man! Maybe instead of having 15 different sound effectors, I could just have 1. Then have a select box to choose which one to play? Then yeah, could also output the filename if need be.

What I find kind of frustrating is when working with the Take System. When creating a new Take, it doesn’t show the waveform in the timeline, and I have to go back to the Main Take to see it. At least having this system we’ve set up let’s ya adjust the Start Time when under child Takes.

I think I’ve spent way too much time on this lol. It’s the perfectionist nature in me :/

I've never used takes.

Is that dropbox file something like what you had in mind ?

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, jed said:

I've never used takes.

Is that dropbox file something like what you had in mind ?

Oh man Takes are awesome if you've got a scene that needs a bunch of animation. Before Takes, I would have to break my C4D project into several files. Now I can do it all within one file.

Oh shoot, my bad, I didn't see the dropbox link! I'll take a look!

Edited by mrittman
    dropbox link

• Topic Author
  • Wow, I feel dumb...didn't know there was a python tag haha! Yeah man this is a nice little setup!

You've definitely got a lot more experience with this coding stuff than I do. Takes me a lot longer to get my head around.

Thanks again!!

Python nodes and tags have their own advantages.

If you have a lot of objects to read from and write to, but hardly any number crunching, a python node is quicker to set up - just click some wires as opposed to typing many doc.SearchObject(), ditto writing data etc in a tag.

One little glitch with python nodes, is that sometimes a node doesn't work because there's no output port connected. I've never managed to isolate the actual conditions when this happens, but I usually have a redundant output connected 'just in case'. In the 1st file, there was a remark 'leave this connected' - force of habit.

When editing python, a lot of people click compile and if it says 'no errors' think that's it. You should also check menu > script > console for error messages. In the dropbox file, if you try to select more tracks than are loaded you see this in console

error.png.7146975e1297347363cfd354aa1c7067.png

the usual fix for that is 'if xyz :  return'

• Like 1

oops cross posting - can you show the code for the time problem.

I'm guessing that although the time user data shows frames, it's converting that value into a c4d base time unit - similar to when you dial in degrees but XP converts them to radians.

If you want to use frames as time, make an integer user data and convert it to time as per 1st file

delay_secs = delay_frames / doc.GetFps()

you could just type in the fps, but beware integer division

10 / 30 = 0

10 / 30.0 = 0.333

etc

in 1st file, input port was real, so integer frames input was converted to float.

you can also replace the RHS of

t[c4d.CID_SOUND_START] = c4d.BaseTime(delay)

with the time user data value

• Like 1