mrittman

Sound Track - Start Time

This uses a python node

kill.zip

and I used trial and error...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Hey, couple of python questions...

Is it possible to display the name of the currently playing sound track in the viewport?

Is it possible to create an input port on that Xpresso node and have an input field to set the name of the object? Just trying to make it easier to select the specific sound track without having to go into the Xpresso editor/python node.

Thanks!

Matt

I'm not sure how to swap tracks the way you suggested. Is it essential to use timeline sound ? The regular sound node is easier to program ie start time, swap tracks. AFAIK it doesn't render, but there's ways around that - eg record 'what you hear' in real time and add it in post. See snip

soundnode.png.2839f7f84c23231e83377de482bc4ad5.png

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, jed said:

I'm not sure how to swap tracks the way you suggested. Is it essential to use timeline sound ? The regular sound node is easier to program ie start time, swap tracks. AFAIK it doesn't render, but there's ways around that - eg record 'what you hear' in real time and add it in post. See snip

soundnode.png.2839f7f84c23231e83377de482bc4ad5.png

I'm having trouble creating the same xpresso setup you've got :/

This was as far as I could get, and I don't even know if it's right haha. I think I should use timeline sound, because it helps to be able to scrub the timeline and hear it play back. Doesn't the sound node just play a sound when it gets to a specific frame (ie. no scrubbing)?

xpresso.png

Yes, no scrubbing.

When it comes to triggered sounds, I've had some success using Audacity to record in real time. If the track length doesn't exactly match, AE has time stretch.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, jed said:

Yes, no scrubbing.

When it comes to triggered sounds, I've had some success using Audacity to record in real time. If the track length doesn't exactly match, AE has time stretch.

Do you know if there's a way with your xpresso node setup to output the name of the currently playing track (wherever the playhead is)? Example attached.

track.png

python code.png

46 minutes ago, mrittman said:

Do you know if there's a way with your xpresso node setup to output the name of the currently playing track

No, sorry. If you look at the MAXON page on special tracks here , you'll understand my quip earlier about my trial and error method. I find the SDK v hard going, so I usually try 'drag and drop' a data field into the Python window. This often results in usable code, with a bit of editing. It worked for the start time field, but when I tried with the sound file, it mysteriously said my music.wav file was called '10.0'....

You could ask at CG Talk or the C4D Plugin Cafe - the latter has some very tech types, but they also speak in Klingon code-speak.

https://forums.cgsociety.org/c/software/MAXON-cinema-4d

https://plugincafe.MAXON.net/

code joke

• Topic Author
  • I simplified it a bit so that the python xpresso node references the object name it's attached to. It's working great now! I really just wish the Start Time was built into the Sound Effector, and I wouldn't have had to mess with all this hah!

python.png

xpresso.png

user data.png

I tried dragging 'use sound' into the python window and it seems that value is accessible. If you load several tracks, you could select which one to play, and maybe output the corresponding filename eg from a list of strings.

sn = doc.SearchObject('soundnull')
    sn2 = doc.SearchObject('soundnull.1')

t = sn.GetFirstCTrack() 
    t2 = sn2.GetFirstCTrack()

t[c4d.CID_SOUND_ONOFF] = 0 # 1 = play
    t2[c4d.CID_SOUND_ONOFF] = 1

edit - something like this dropbox

• Like 1