Vertex Helix

The useless trivia of the day

So the year is 1990 and a 14 year old me, after saving for 6 months what in today's money would be 750 euros, is taking a 60 mile bus ride to buy a 512kb ram chip for my Amiga 500 

(which got fried instantly when I plugged it the wrong way up)

Now one hour earlier, at my door, a 16Gb branded RAM module was delivered for a deal of 47 euros.

So in 29 years someone can spend almost 16 times less money to buy 32,000 more storage!

PS. I feel so old right now I could use a drink... (and it's hardly noon over here)

• Like 1

Lols - I have similar memories trying to get the famed extra 2 MB into my Atari ST - that was an all-day mission as well :)

CBR

Yep - I was a Cubase user when it was still called Pro-16 !! God, I feel ancient !!

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I am still a Cubase user! V9.0. Got a nice Midas console to go with it. Love the thing!

Back then my 2D Graphics and animation was inside Deluxe Paint III. (One would have thought I'd be good now...haha)

Have been an ST(FM) user as well, but more for the graphics than for midi ... especially STOS.

To be honest, prices have come down and storage has increased, both exponentially. But what about the fun and excitement?

Maybe it's nostalgia, or old age, but the 80s-90s seemed to be more exciting computer-wise (as a teen) than today (as an old fart), even if things were barely affordable then ... And the music was better.

• Topic Author
  • Oh yes, definitely fun and exciting times on the computer and otherwise

...."and the music was better" it's something I swore to never say when I'd grow older. It does feel  true though, (especially in rock and pop).

At least I find electronic music (not EDM!) to have gotten better and more diverse

I remember downloading songs from the internet (which could take days on a 56k modem) on one computer and then zipping it on 2 or 3 floppy disks to get it to another computer. I was feeling like I was a genius doing that kind of stuff.

That seems crazy the lengths we could go when I think about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vertex Helix said:

I am still a Cubase user! V9.0. Got a nice Midas console to go with it. Love the thing!

I stopped at V5 of the latest series when I had to retire the audio PC, and 3D has kind of subsumed me entirely ever since :/

It's a shame in a way - I miss the string sections, all those analogue virtual synths, and Omnisphere :) Hope I get back to it one day...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I'm sorry to hear that...3D has kept me away from music as well but I'm trying my best not to lose touch. Compared to 3D the rewards in music production are almost instantenous!

I hope you get back to it soon and there's plenty of exciting new synths with sound like nothing there was around ten years ago (Serum, Dune3, Repro)

They have semi-nodal and set driven behavior architecture in wavetable manipulation and modulation, so your 3D wired brain will feel right at home.

(The old great ones Diva, Zebra and of course Omnisphere have gotten an overhaul and upgrades and are still more than relevant)

Cubase Elements is amazing value at about £85 UK.

1 hour ago, jed said:

Cubase Elements is amazing value at about £85 UK.

I agree. Have purchased Cubase Elements 8 a few years ago. Never really used it to its full potential, as starting the application seemed to take forever.

Each time I wanted to do a quick session, the amount of time to wait loading the application just killed the inspiration. Have since tried Reaper, and am now focused on Waveform (formerly know as Tracktion).

Both of them launch in a blink of an eye. But, unfortunately, other things are keeping me away from music making ... and even from doing 3D. A decade ago it used to be building and flying model airplanes, but since a few years my attention is now fully turned to plugin development.