Sign in to follow this  
Vertex Helix

The useless trivia of the day

On 4/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, Cerbera said:

trying to get the famed extra 2 MB into my Atari ST

I remember the 512KB and 1MB versions, (STFM versions), but cannot recall the 2MB. Was that the STE, the TT, ...?

3 hours ago, C4DS said:

I remember the 512KB and 1MB versions, (STFM versions), but cannot recall the 2MB. Was that the STE, the TT, ...?

That was the STe:) I think it came with 1 MB and could be expanded to 2 (or maybe 4).

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @jedWow, is it down to that? 

• Topic Author
  • @C4DS, Yes Reaper's GUI may be stripped down to the bare minimum but it's fast and solid as a DAW. It's even used in broadcast.

What kind of plugins are you developing?

56 minutes ago, Vertex Helix said:

@C4DS, Yes Reaper's GUI may be stripped down to the bare minimum but it's fast and solid as a DAW. It's even used in broadcast.

What kind of plugins are you developping?

I had used Reaper a while, some years ago, for editing voice-over takes and effects, but never really managed to stick to it for music making. As far as I remember I seemed to have had issues with Kontakt and other virtual instruments, and was too impatient to get used to its workflow. Went for Tracktion instead.

As for the plugins I am developing, most except the latest one are listed in a blog here at the Cafe, as well as having their own threads in the plugin section of the forum.

Right ... the Atari STE. Could indeed have as much as 4MB if I remember correctly.

Never could justify the "upgrade" from my STFM, which I purchased having 512KB and had it upgraded to 1024KB. A few years later purchased a PC 80486 with ... 16MB. Still far away from the 16GB which are common now.

Still, I much more enjoyed the Atari than any PC I have had in all these years. Shame for the lousy graphic resolution, back then.

• Topic Author
  • Very impressive! Excellent stuff C4DS.

Can't wait to start using them , congrats on the hard work

Were you using Python before C4D or did you learn the language to get on top of the software?

1 hour ago, Vertex Helix said:

Very impressive! Excellent stuff C4DS.

Can't wait to start using them , congrats on the hard work

Were you using Python before C4D or did you learn the language to get on top of the software?

Thanks for the kind words.

Most of the plugins are written in C++, which I already was using before jumping into C4D, back in 2005.

While Python is only used for "simple" plugins, or scripts, or for prototyping. And this language I only learned quite recently, as I still need to look up functions in the Python documentation, each time I am adding features or updating functionality to a plugin or script.

As mentioned, STOS was the main reason I went for the Atari ST. So, software development was already a passion of mine, back then.

I remember having purchased an (expensive) assembler only to be able to write a single extension for STOS. As such, I was then already writing plugins.

STOS could only handle 15 sprites in total. I needed much more, so wrote a "shape" extension which mimicked a sprite. Didn't take long to write, as such the expensive assembler was only used a very short amount of time. With the "shape" extension available I could basically do all I wanted in every application I wrote since. That assembler was the best investment ever, and the most expensive software purchase I had ever made ... till I stumbled upon "trueSpace" somewhere halfway the 90s. Funny thing is that I also wrote plugins for that application ... "scitameniK" being my most popular one. As the name implies, it was an extension for Inverse Kinematics.

• Topic Author
  • Fantastic! Keep up the great work. and thank you for all they benefits we may reap along your way