I've not had to worry about blue screens, dlls, or viruses in a long time.  Why would you even go deleting random ddls to begin with?  That is like going into C4D deleting .cdl64 files and wondering why c4d doesn't work right anymore.

I was talking to a mac user recently who was building a hackintosh.  They knew PC well too.  I asked them why they would even make a hackintosh as you can do everything in windows that can be done on mac?  They said Final Cut.  There are some great final cut alternatives on pc, so only if the industry demands you to use specifically Final Cut would you need a mac. 

Most people I know switched from Final Cut to Premiere Pro in the last couple of years. I never used the program so I can't tell, but it seems like they seemed to have neglected that as well.

I've been using Macs and PCs since 1991... So I have a bit of experience with them. And in that time PCs are better for 3D than Macs in my experience. I love the Mac OS which is why I have an iMac but that is just for everyday things. But I use two PCs for my main work which is predominantly 3D.

Now in the past the Mac OS was much nicer and easier to use than Windows, but Windows NT came along and changed all that back then. Now we have Windows 10 which isn't quite as nice as Mac OS but stable and if you use the Windows Defender pretty much virus free as long as you are careful and don't go downloading cracked software or go visiting dodgey sites.

PCs also work out cheaper to buy/build yourself that Macs and have a much better range of processors and GPUs to choose from. On the Laptop front though when looking at a lot of the laptops available on the high street I have noticed that the prices have remained the same but the specs have gone down and since you cannot build your own laptop I would stick to looking at Scan or Overclockers to see what they have . A good gaming laptop would be a good choice I will be checking out that Huawei one you mentioned.

• Topic Author
  • On 4/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, chrisjones said:

A post that piques my interest as I'm potentially heading the same way. I've been a Mac user for the past couple of decades, mainly through using them at work and the three personal machines I have bought in the past 16 years – a G4 tower, an iMac and currently on a 2015 MBP – I have purchased because Mac was all I knew, and I've only really got heavily into 3d the past couple of years, so after I got the MBP. I've only become acutely aware of the limitations of the Mac since progressing from purely modelling in Cinema to actually experimenting with rendering, bigger scenes etc.

As my MacBook is four years old but very well looked after – nothing ever stored on desktop, regularly cleaned up etc – it will inevitably begin to encounter issues, especially battery. And this year Apple will definitely reveal machines they perceive will be integral to the future of the creative industry according to Apple. Wild speculation abounds, and for what it's worth I think they will take the fact most Mac users use Cinema 4d, and have developed a processor that will then run a future renderer that is either produced by them or in conjunction with MAXON. So they can ringfence some market share of the consumer 3d industry. Just a hunch. Now that would be a game changer but, BUT, because it's Apple, the manufacturers of a phone that cost more than £1000, and released an iMac Pro that cost way over £10,000 – I've used one and it was no different to a 5k iMac costing £4000 – whatever comes next will come at a big price. An Apple kind of price. And no matter how good it possibly could be, if it's not open to a variety of third party renderers and software, I just don't see people migrating to / sticking with Apple. I'm waiting to see what happens, but I already have a quote for a custom build that would annhillate a Mac and all for a squeeze under £2.5k, I pretty much know what my next move is gonna be...

What are you going for in terms of custom build? Care to share the specs? 

@Jennifer – as GazzaMataz mentioned, check out these guys:

https://www.scan.co.uk/

I received a quote for £2100 for a desktop machine that has 32gb, NVidia Cards and well spec'd according to the software used. That's the cool thing about Scan, they can narrow it down to what software you use. Handy. So I feel I will be drawn to this. Being a family man I can't simply go out and buy stuff like this, it has to be very carefully planned as I cannot waste my hard earned money. I set myself a goal of learning how to model in Cinema 4D well before considering buying stuff like this, as modelling is such a rudimentary skill. So while I am doing this I can save rather than going out spending all that money and not really needing it.

Yep, I'm a hard core Mac fan / user for a long time. I've used Linux and Windows along the way as well, but prefer Mac OS when I can. But I agree with the others here. It's getting to a point where it's ridiculous to pay such a huge amount when you not only don't get the same benefits, you get less. I'm in the market to get a laptop soon, and will probably be going with a PC with Windows. I rather like Windows 10. The icons are absolutely terrible, but other than that it looks and performs really well. I run the built in Firewall and use the free Avast antivirus. Never had a virus on the few Win10 installs that I have.  I have an old HP Elitebook 2740p that works really well with Windows 10, but the graphics capabilities are terrible. It has one of the first Intel integrated graphics cards. So the OpenGL version is too outdated for most apps that need it.  It will surprisingly run Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop CC pretty well though. 

I have an upgraded MacPro5,1 with a GTX 1080 FE in it as my main machine, and the lack of support from Apple for Nvidia really just makes me angry. I've started having a lot of crashes in C4d lately, and I think I'm going to have to switch over to my Win10 BootCamp partition to run C4d properly. I mainly just used that partition for Steam games, but I almost never have time for that anymore anyway. 

I’ve been using Macs since 1984, and can’t count how many models I’ve used or owned. As for the user experience, I think macOS still has the upper hand. In general, apps specifically developed for Macs are more polished and friendly to use.

But, as many have already said, the price tag is difficult to afford, and with the Mac Pro still stuck in the past, pretty all that’s left in the catalogue are expensive and non-upgradable machines. It kinda makes me sad to admit it (been a Mac supporter for more than 3 decades), but it’s true.

I still have my good old 2014 MacBook Pro for on-the-go duties, but I’ve switched to Windows for heavy tasks 2 years ago.

The transition is much easier than you would think. Windows ain’t as pretty as macOS, but it’s stable. And in the end, you spend much more time in your applications than in the OS, so while you’re working, you basically don’t think about which platform you’re using. It’s just a bit confusing with the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl is used instead of Cmd on the Macs). I still hit the Windows key thinking it’s the Command key :-)

I teach graphic design, and do a bit of freelance stuff on the side. My budget is quite tight, but for around €1800 ($2020 – £1560), I think I’ve got a decent machine. Not the fastest, but I can upgrade it when possible (already done that). A friend helped me when ordering the parts, and I’ve built everything myself (except for the CPU, I’ve never done it before and wanted someone more experienced to do it). It now works flawlessly (had problems before with a second-hand GPU, solved with a brand new one).

My specs are the following:

• Motherboard: MSI X99A RAIDER MS-7885
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.40 GHz
    • RAM: 32 Gb DDR4
    • GPU1: NVIDIA GTX 1070 8 Gb
    • GPU2: NVIDIA Quadro K1200 4 Gb
    • Case: be Quiet! Silent Base 800
    • PSU: Corsair RM750i (750 watts)

Again, not the most powerful box out there… But much cheaper than a Mac, and upgradable. I’m able to use CINEMA 4D and Redshift without major issues. Next step is indeed upgrading the GPUs (and maybe the cooling system).

If you’ve been using computers for quite a long time, switching isn’t a problem. It’s easy. As for viruses, most of the time common sense will help you avoid them.

Cheers,

Damien

• Like 1

I agree with you on the virus front on PCs Damien, although on the Mac you never ever had to worry much about them unless you had a PC connected to a Mac and then the Mac could act as the carrier :-P

This all makes me wonder about the Mac's future. Sure I think some people will still buy iMacs but unless Apple come up with something powerful and up-gradable and reasonably priced I think it is the death of the MacPro and possibly the iMac. I think the prices have a lot to do with it. I mean they are still selling the MacPro vintage 2013 for £2,999 - I could build two PCs that are quicker for that. BTW the base MacPro benches at about 900 in Cinebench R15 if anyone is interested - bit poor in my opinion.

• Like 1