23 minutes ago, GaryAbrehart said:

But damn, the price of that new Mac pro is  utterly insane.

They slipped this one in without much of a fan fare didn't they! Looks amazing but I didn't see any prices - care to share?

$6000 for the base model.

The base model has a 256GB SSD, 32GB ram and a Radeon Pro 580X.

So you're easily talking double that for something worthy of running redshift or octane.

The monitor stand is $999. I mean, good lord!

• Like 1

$6,000 for the base model… That's £4,750 approx!

I mean they look very nice and expandable but I could build two reasonably good PCs for that probably with higher specs. When are Apple going to come off their hobby horse and look at the REAL users and think if they lowered the price they might sell more? I mean people will buy this but it will probably be only studios and real Mac die-hards - which I am not BTW, much as I love the Mac OS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GaryAbrehart said:

$6,000 for the base model… That's £4,750 approx!

I mean they look very nice and expandable but I could build two reasonably good PCs for that probably with higher specs. When are Apple going to come off their hobby horse and look at the REAL users and think if they lowered the price they might sell more? I mean people will buy this but it will probably be only studios and real Mac die-hards - which I am not BTW, much as I love the Mac OS.

Yeah, hear that completely.

I reckon if the base is $6,000 in the US it'll pretty much be around £6K here too.  We'll see though.

For reference here is a nice really small PC that remindes me of the new 2019 mac for about half the price with a lot better hardware.  It kind of reminds me of the mac trash can more than the modern one it's so small and cute.  Non-custom PC with this same hardware would be much less.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-one-one-i160/p/N82E16883304010

or there is this one for $5k

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-c1p-i180-cs-9040001-na/p/N82E16883304011

I don't get why MAXON is wasting the development time converting everything to metal.  It would not be such a big deal if they proved they could do that and keep up with the development of C4D, but with many years of releases with little new it seems they are having huge trouble getting enough time to do things.