Ok, I thought this would be a simple thing to do, just using the Sound Effector on some clones.  What I want is a sound wave traveling through some clones (simply scaling up some small planes to look like bars).  The key here is traveling!   What I get is more of an EQ look where all the bars jump based on the current sound.  I'm missing the time aspect, where each bar represents a point in time, like you'd see in the Timeline.  But then instead of the bars going on into infinity, the effect travels through them, so that the current time would always be on the far left side.  Make sense?  I've attached my simple scene (just add whatever audio you have laying around).

Audio Wave Cafe v103.c4d

Since posting, I did find this tutorial, which is a tiny bit closer to what I'm after, but not quite.  Maybe it will spark something in someone else's brain?  Also, not sure what language he's speaking, but I don't speak it:

• Like 1

I think I got enough of an idea from that guy to generally work out was going on - I presume the same was the case for you ?

It's annoying, but I have a persistent memory from about 5 years back of seeing a sort of better version of this video, and in English, but of course my brain hasn't retained where it was or what keywords would find it again  :) All I can remember was that it was blue and glowly and really really cool !

Sorry I was no help at all with post.

CBR

• Haha 1

Here's one which should work for you. Just use scale instead of position. And here is the file from that brilliant tutorial. Just hook both up to  Shostakovich String Quartets.....or Cake.

TP Follow.c4d.zip

Sound Waves 1.c4d.zip

• Like 2

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

@Cerbera yes, I was able to follow it despite being the wrong language.  It's just not really the effect I'm going for. 

And thanks, @teknow!  I was able to sort of get the Sound Waves file working, but like I said, it's not quite right.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but your "TP Follow" file does nothing.  I clicked on the "SoundController" null and linked up an audio file... nothing.  Tried .wav, .mp3.  What should I be seeing?  Particles shooting out?

I am not clear why that file won't work. It works on mine. The objects are at a given level per frequency but that isn't what you want. Do you want a growing plot of peak volume per time with increasing time to the right?

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

Yes, I think we're getting on the same page.  The final look is something like the image below.  The individual bars should stay static except for their scale in the Y direction.  The audio peaks should travel through the bars and around the circle clockwise.  Don't worry too much about the circular aspect- I think if we get it working linearly I can adapt it to wrap into a circle.  I think it would work if we could get each bar clone to react to the Sound Effector except one frame offset from the previous one.

949805086_Soundwavecircle2.thumb.jpg.b182c5753d8e34e1d9481fc7837e902e.jpg

Well, thanks for your efforts so far, guys!  But the client just changed direction, so I guess this one goes in the scrap heap.  It would still be interesting if someone figured it out since I'm sure this is an effect I or someone else will want to use in the future.