hikarubr

Cinema 4D Roadmap vs Autodesk Roadmap

Hi everyone, 

I remember some years ago, especially during the release of Cinema 4D r17, that there was a lot of talk about MAXON releasing the roadmap for Cinema 4D. 

But MAXON employees and some users argued that was impossible, that no company could do that, because it would be dangerous, it would give too much info for the competition, etc...

Well, Autodesk recently released a roadmap for 3ds Max.

If Autodesk can do it, why not MAXON?

I think it would be very useful for users to have a Cinema 4D roadmap, so we can plan our upgrades better.

What do you guys think?

MAXON has a history of keeping things close to their chest. Even when I was on the Beta team they were very tight lipped. I think part of it is they are a German company and up until recently the management were German. This is how they think and subordinates just follow orders. And if sales are good and increasing then why change anything. 

Sure I would love them to be a lot more forthcoming with their customers and I've been very critical of the way they communicate with their customers. UV editing for example, they really should say which version the long awaited update is coming. Don't hold your breath though. I gave up waiting on them.

• Like 1

It's easy to guess the roadmap for C4D.

Here is a sneak peak, but promise not to tell anyone.

1) Make very little

2) The little made should only have one thing people might use

22 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

It's easy to guess the roadmap for C4D.

Here is a sneak peak, but promise not to tell anyone.

1) Make very little

2) The little made should only have one thing people might use

Harsh ! :) In the latest release for example, I do use Volume Builder, do use Fields, do use Nodes (all of which are MASSIVE additions), and do appreciate the subtle improvements they have made to multiple modelling tools !! Going back, I use Voronoi Fracture, and Takes a lot too, another huge addition to those versions.

As far as foundations for that statement go, I'd say they were looking pretty thin.

CBR

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Harsh ! :) In the latest release for example, I do use Volume Builder, do use Fields, do use Nodes (all of which are MASSIVE additions), and do appreciate the subtle improvements they have made to multiple modelling tools !! Going back, I use Voronoi Fracture, and Takes a lot too, another huge addition to those versions.

As far as foundations for that statement go, I'd say they were looking pretty thin.

I do like the improvements to old tools.  More of that would be great.

Do yourself a favor and get a 3rd party render engine. 

If they would open up the code on their textures so 3rd party render engines could insert code X and have C4D textures working in them exactly as they do in C4D native render engines the nodes would have been a huge feature.  They didn't and I'd guess, from MAXON's past, they have no plan to ever let 3rd party render engines use the nodes.  It's a huge shame.  Having to bake out the procedurals and nodes to use in a 3rd party engine only to have it look not the same is disappointing.

Volume Builder is in Xparticles which you should also get if you don't have it.

Keep in mind you had to go back multiple releases to make a decent list.  This should be a hint they need to come out with more improvements per release.  They did hire more people so I'm hopeful they will do better in R21.

8 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

Do yourself a favor and get a 3rd party render engine. 

Yes, I'm 100% with you there :) Need a new machine first though and $$$ etc...

And I totally get your point about nodes and TPRs...

There have been some not so great releases (R17 still jumps to mind first), but I kind of let them off that while they were sorting out the new core.

R18, 19, and 20 showed a lot more promise, and I hope they keep going in that vein. But don't think I'm just some blinkered fanboy who just meekly accepts what I'm given - I'm the first on the list to be whinging about the (few) modelling tools we still lack, and of course a UV editor that is 10 years out of date. There's no letting that pass... it gets more unforgivable with every version that passes with UVs unaddressed !

Autodesk didn't do it. They talked about project Excalibur, yet it was discarded. They also talked - in 2016 - and showed a video of dynamic modeling, yet pixologic zbrush ended doing it and Autodesk either scrapped or is waiting for a 2020 release.

What part of the autodesk roadmap actually was implemented? Does anyone know? 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:03 PM, 3DKiwi said:

MAXON has a history of keeping things close to their chest. Even when I was on the Beta team they were very tight lipped. I think part of it is they are a German company and up until recently the management were German. This is how they think and subordinates just follow orders. And if sales are good and increasing then why change anything. 

Sure I would love them to be a lot more forthcoming with their customers and I've been very critical of the way they communicate with their customers. UV editing for example, they really should say which version the long awaited update is coming. Don't hold your breath though. I gave up waiting on them.

Houdini's UV tools are superb, easy to use and do a great job. I mean I was able to use them after a 5 minute tutorial . . . LOL

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.