Sign in to follow this  
Sxfff

Metaball Softbody ?

Hey guys,

So Im making something currently with metaballs coming together to one bubble then I want my logo to grow and push out like image below and have the bubble surface wrapped around like a texture *or* have the bubble shrink and smoothly wrap around the logo within it.

how would you do this when using metaballs? would the shrink wrap work and if so which object do you make it a child of?

logo pushing out:

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 13.48.54.png

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 14.28.12.png

Please take care to post in the right place. In this case that is Dynamics etc.

You wouldn't do it using metaballs - they are completely unsuitable geometry for dynamics. However there is nothing to stop you putting dynamics tags on the things inside the metaball. That should work fine, although you will need to keep poly count low or your viewport will grind to a halt trying to calculate soft bodies and metaballs at the same time.

I wouldn't use either for the 'pushing through' part of your reference - I'd try the collision deformer for that...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Posted (edited)
    55 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Please take care to post in the right place. In this case that is Dynamics etc.

You wouldn't do it using metaballs - they are completely unsuitable geometry for dynamics. However there is nothing to stop you putting dynamics tags on the things inside the metaball. That should work fine, although you will need to keep poly count low or your viewport will grind to a halt trying to calculate soft bodies and metaballs at the same time.

I wouldn't use either for the 'pushing through' part of your reference - I'd try the collision deformer for that...

CBR

Thanks, how would you use the collision deformer for the logo pushing out the sphere? would you put the logo inside and make the solver "inside" ?

edit * ok nvm I did the collision but how do you solve the parts sticking out?

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 16.33.31.png

Edited by SIFA

There's a few reasons that text might stick out of the collision sphere but it would help us help you if you could upload the scene, and then we can advise more specifically...

In the meantime I would change that mode to 'Inside stretch' and make sure my sphere didn't have any complex poles or triangles in it.

CBR