Amy Sterling

Why is the sand sparkling?

I've been working on the intro to Cinema 4D video series from Cineversity. It's going well so far and I'm getting easily obsessed with C4D... but there is something weird with my render. The sand is sparkling. Any idea what is causing this static look? Here is the project file. https://drive.google.com/open?id=17gy_OatCCosxGRuu57k45vOe6y-ecTJi

Also the fish in the scene look very different than the ones that render out. 

Scene:

image.thumb.png.215ece08d8a23374ebce28f29102d560.png

render: 

image.png.db9f22784e67c800f36906cf1d183e51.png

The tails change shape and they seem to lose the bulge in the body. *** mate! 

Thanks for the help!

Amy

Make sure there is no roughness/noise in your glass material reflectance or transparency.

• Like 1

The problem with the fish tails is that you have hidden the 'fail fish' from the viewport, but not the render. 

• Like 1

Are you using ProRender?  It looks like a sampling issue.  We call these "fireflies" and they frequently appear in GPU rendering.  Usually the only way to get rid of them is increasing samples.

• Like 1

@Vizn aha killing the fail fish fixed the tails, thank you! There looks to be no roughness or noise in the glass. I just redid the material and re-rendered and same thing. 

754872463_subrenderfishfix.thumb.png.30169ed3faf0665964ee6f6c89adbc6b.png

@natevplas I am using Standard render.  

when I render in view, it has the dots even outside the glass bowl hmm

image.thumb.png.4a64154cc5355da086e6ba91bccb8e13.png

No roughness? Odd, because in the file the 'glass bowl' material definitely has roughness in the Reflectance Transparency tab. Is the provided file identical to the one you are rendering from? I don't get any light specular/reflections in the glass, and the render output settings don't seem to be set for animation. Otherwise, look into the rendering samples as Nate suggested.

This is what I get when opening and pressing render.

1781455210_submarineobjectcreationtest34.thumb.jpg.3cfea81fd53e662f464913fb5019cb04.jpg

• Like 2

@Vizn yeah, i just downloaded the file and took a look... No fireflies here.  It's set to Standard Renderer, so that makes sense.  But not sure why @Amy Sterling is getting them unless she changed something before/after uploading. 

Ok!  Now I'm getting the fireflies!  That's pretty strange.  I've never seen that with Standard renderer.  BUT, the fix is super easy.  Just turn on Anti-Aliasing in Render Settings.  And make sure if you're using the interactive view (and you don't want to see the sparkles) you move that little tiny triangle on the right side of the window all the way to the top.  That's your quality control.

image.thumb.png.87e9d8b781933a3fa7594bef296e71d5.png

Is this where you adjust it? Is it already on? 

image.thumb.png.1603ac6d553f9e959974a2d9c1394e7e.png

That render you made looks so nice! The in-view render takes *so long* even at low resolution so I keep turning it off.

Oops!  Forgot to mention how to do that.  Change it from "Geometry" to "Best."  I left the other settings as is, but you can increase the minimum from 1x1 to 2x2 for even better results.

• Like 1