madmarvin

Bad Viewport Performance in R20

I have a really big scene in C4D with some geo I need to animate. To optimize the viewport, I've turned off the visibility on all geo except the one I'm gonna animate, but the viewport performs just as bad as if everything is visible. It's exactly the same. If I delete all objects except my animated geo, it runs smoothly - but that's really not an effective workflow. It's just interesting that Cinema 4D (R20) thinks the geo is there when its not shown.

I have set all the viewport settings to lowest possible. Computer is an i7, 32 GB ram and dual GPU. 

Any ideas as to why C4D performs like all geo is visible when its hidden? 

Is there some other way of "correctly" hiding geo than checking the red dot that means "hidden"?

Would really like some help here as this is a real showstopper. Thanks!

What cpu exactly do you have, and what GPU?

C4D viewport performance depends much of cpu single core speed, and then gpu speed.

If you put just top red dot, object is only hidden from displaying it in viewport, you need to put red x cross, which will exclude it from calculating.

2 minutes ago, danijelk said:

What cpu exactly do you have, and what GPU?

C4D viewport performance depends much of cpu single core speed, and then gpu speed.

If you put just top red dot, object is only hidden from displaying it in viewport, you need to put red x cross, which will exclude it from calculating.

Thank you for your reply!

It’s an i7 7700 3.6 GHz with two GTX 1070 Ti. 

How do I “red x cross” mark it?

Just click on green check mark on right side of dots, and it will transform to red x cross.

28 minutes ago, danijelk said:

Just click on green check mark on right side of dots, and it will transform to red x cross.

Ah sorry, didn't know you meant that one. There's hundreds of objects inside a couple of different nulls, and the parent null doesn't have a cross.

I tried the "Export as Alembic + Delete" option - cause then you get the check / X option - but that didn't work at all in this scene...

Any other ideas? :)

Can you attach .c4d file?

You will have slow viewport performance if there are many objects in scene, in your case hundreds of them. One solution is to select all objects inside null, and use Mesh -> Conversion -> "Connect objects + Delete", that will speed up viewport speed for sure.

Yep, we need more information about the scene. How many objects, what type of objects are they etc etc...

CBR

I can’t attach the scene unfortunately but it’s an entire city with thousands of static simple geo, nothing fancy. 

I can of course connect everything but that will create other problems when I need to change the scene in the future. But also, it’s a good enough workaround if it works as I can save each chapter project as a “child” and keep the parent project as it is today. 

Thank you for the ideas!

Main question remains though: Why is C4D viewport performance affected by hidden objects?

OK, if it's just geo, there are still things you can do. So, you have viewport level of detail set to low ? And you have custom viewport clipping that eliminates most geo from the areas in which you are not working ? Or if that is still too heavy, have you tried a display tag that sets most of the geo to box mode ? Failing that, is it possible to do your animation in a new file, just cutting and copying key geo that you may need for reference ?

In huge scenes I do nearly all complex work on single objects in a new scene.

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

OK, if it's just geo, there are still things you can do. So, you have viewport level of detail set to low ? And you have custom viewport clipping that eliminates most geo from the areas in which you are not working ? Or if that is still too heavy, have you tried a display tag that sets most of the geo to box mode ? Failing that, is it possible to do your animation in a new file, just cutting and copying key geo that you may need for reference ?

In huge scenes I do nearly all complex work on single objects in a new scene.

CBR

I haven’t tried the Display tag actually, I’ve only tried adjusting the visibility of the parent null and using layers, which doesn’t work. Perhaps the Display tag will actually affect the performance. I’ll try that tonight. 

Regarding different scenes etc, it’s definitely a solution even though it would be cumbersome. Perhaps I’ll just copy all the other geo to another scene, that feels easier to me. 

You’re saying you export the geo you’re supposed to animate? Is that possible with dynamic objects? All my animated geo has a base in a dynamics simulation (cars racing), which makes everything a little bit harder. :)

7 hours ago, madmarvin said:

I haven’t tried the Display tag actually, I’ve only tried adjusting the visibility of the parent null and using layers, which doesn’t work. Perhaps the Display tag will actually affect the performance. I’ll try that tonight. 

Regarding different scenes etc, it’s definitely a solution even though it would be cumbersome. Perhaps I’ll just copy all the other geo to another scene, that feels easier to me. 

You’re saying you export the geo you’re supposed to animate? Is that possible with dynamic objects? All my animated geo has a base in a dynamics simulation (cars racing), which makes everything a little bit harder. :)

Update - Display tag changes nothing. The only thing that works seems to be to copy out all the heavy geo and just have the geo to animate in the scene...