Philip Dirven

Rotation on Tangential and linear move

Hi There!

I'm trying to make an animated sprocke and chain (image 1). I made a rounded rectangle to use it as a perfect spline. But I'm stuck with 2 problems:

• Chainpart rotates when 'Tangential' is checked. I can't change the rotation as it is connected to the spline (image 2,3 and 4).

• Keyframes are linear but movement goes slower in the curve of the spline. So on the flat lines, the chainpart goes faster (image 5 and 6). I can see a bezier line in grey but I can't find how to change it.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

The spline should be uniform.

I made this chain rig recently.

chain.c4d

• Like 2

@jed that is beautiful!  And you've set it up so perfectly to animate :D

@natevplas thanks. To make the chain fit, I joined 2 half circles with the pen tool, and measured the spline length with an XP spline node. Then I grabbed one end and moved it until the length was a whole number of chain links.

• Like 1

Thanks Jed,

Saves a lot of time! I will customize it for a titledesign. I'm now challenging myself to make the red cogwheel the same size as the blue one with my 1 month experience and 7h of udemy lectures. I managed to get the spline and chain longer but the red cogwheel moves too slow.

Where can I find the rotation controls of the red cogwheel to line up with the speed of the moving chain?

Double click the tag on the xpresso null.  You'll see a "Math: Multiply" node between the "Python" node and "blue" node.  Click on that and change the Input to 1.

The cogs react as if they were touching. The size (radius) ratio is 2 so one cog moves twice as fast as the other. The chain moves to match the cogs, using this radian definition

anyangle.png.e1102a9d6f8d828cc0a28eaac4064143.png

if you are using the C4D cog tool, you can align using orientation on the teeth tab.