Igor

MAXON & REDSHIFT TOGETHER

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Needs more bass :) Great bit of music though - hi fast arco strings particularly epic.

CBR

Needs more cowbell

• Like 1

I will be as happy as you "redshifters"  if i hear the new version has fluid simulation engine included like Maya bifrost or Blender. Also this redshift thing can be good. We'll see.

36 minutes ago, muratz said:

I will be as happy as you "redshifters"  if i hear the new version has fluid simulation engine included like Maya bifrost or Blender. Also this redshift thing can be good. We'll see.

You should look at X-Particles or Houdini.  Insydium, the people that make X-Particles, has a half price sale right now.

https://insydium.ltd/

I just bought X-particles for the first time for $359.34 and I am amazed at what it will do including liquids.

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

17 hours ago, teknow said:

I just bought X-particles for the first time for $359.34 and I am amazed at what it will do including liquids.

Run - do not walk - to Bob Walmsley's tutorials at the Insydium Youtube page.  He will have you caching particle advection to influence a grain solver which is then passed through an OpenVDB modifier and Cycles4D to render glass bubbles knocking down a brick so quickly, clearly and simply it will make your head spin.  I don't know which is more impressive:  his teaching ability or the power and ease of use of X-Particles!!!  I would probably say both.

Question:  Did you get Cycles 4D with X-Particles?  Given the sale, it would only be another $86.50 USD and the latest release of Cycles 4D has some really nice enhancements for handling ExplosiaFX simulations from Insydium….they made it very simple.

Dave

• Like 1

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

3D-Pangel, Thanks for the heads up! No, I didn't get it initially because I thought it was only for Blender but I just bought it for $123.11. Maybe they will end up giving me the bundle price? Does it really improve things and does the render engine improve normal scene renders? I know zero about it. It looks like I have a lot to study!! All the while trying to model a Replisome for DNA. Gulp.

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

2 hours ago, teknow said:

3D-Pangel, Thanks for the heads up! No, I didn't get it initially because I thought it was only for Blender but I just bought it for $123.11. Maybe they will end up giving me the bundle price? Does it really improve things and does the render engine improve normal scene renders? I know zero about it. It looks like I have a lot to study!! All the while trying to model a Replisome for DNA. Gulp.

May I direct you to the venerable Mr. Walmsley:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqfi4ZNJ8Y4

ExplosiaFX support starts at 24:45 but the whole video is worth watching.

Definitely contact Insydium about getting the bundle deal retroactively.  Argue for either a refund or have them throw in the Cycles 4D starter back for free (which is about the same difference). 

When it was first released, it was rubbish which I think is a stigma that may be out there for people who have yet to give it a second look.  But Insydium was quick to fix those issues and overall, I find its results are pretty good.  The main developer was sick for the past year (which is very unfortunate) so progress was a bit slow in that time but he is back now (and I hope doing well) because this latest release has some really good features.  I am not sure how the feature list of Cycles 4D compares to Redshift or Octane, or even how it compares to Cycles for Blender.  But from watching some tutorials, I would say it would fare well in a comparison.

My only concern now is this:  How many nodal material systems can you learn without getting completely confused?  There is C4D, Cycles and in the future Redshift.  Will I be lost trying to remember which nodes belong to which renderer?  Hopefully, the command manager helps me keep everything straight.

Dave

• Like 1

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

23 hours ago, Vertex Helix said:

That's money well spent!

You got that right :)

I took a better look at Redshift even though I am not into rendering anymore, it really seems as top quality product. Also talked to some pro users, they are very happy and have faith that Maxon will show that it is not corporate beast as some other companies are ;)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

16 hours ago, teknow said:

They are nice at insydium, so chances are good.

Cycles can give top quality renders.  Cycles is way faster than Prorender.  I'm not really sure what you mean by normal scene renders.  You can make materials that are incredible in Cycles.  Cycles nodal material system give a huge amount of freedom.  You can even do dispersion through a prism, which I see they have a mat for now, realistic gold, and other metals.  There is a ton of information online about things people do with the nodes in cycles and some of it is really crazy cool.  Look up cool materials for Blender Cycles to find them.  Recreate the nodes in Cycles 4D and it works perfect.  For a super fast render that don't need the best quality turn down the depths and bounces calculated as well as setting the clamping to 10 or so and turning off caustics and reflection.

I don't want to put a huge damper on the whole Redshift thing, but I read this recently in a tweet from Ton Roosendaal.  " Optix is now compatible with GPL, a well integrated version for Cycles is being worked on. I wait for something to show, before announcing anything. Grant: contact me for more info? ton at blender org. "  " Yes, and not only for RTX, also GTX. Optix raytracing is used by Octane and Redshift, it's why these are so much faster than Cycles on GPU. But not for long. "  I feel like Redshift will still be faster than Cycles, but those tensor cores used right could potentially make Cycles faster than Redshift around the release of the RTX 2180 ti.  I say this because Redshift uses tricks to get faster speed and Cycles uses more raytracing.  The more the raytracing used the more the boost from the Tensor cores.

• Like 1

@teknow I'll tell you what, Cycles 4D has the best designed node editor I've seen for C4D. The only other one that is close is Unreal Engine 4.  I know what you mean about confusing things. A while back, I demoed Cycles, Arnold, Maxwell  and Corona at the same time (although Corona didn't have nodes at that time). The main thing that may be a little different is in the PBR workflow. Some engines use different names for the same thing, i.e. Displacement/Height, Glossiness/Roughness, Metallic, etc.