Sign in to follow this  
Igor

MAXON & REDSHIFT TOGETHER

Because it seems to me like it doesn't have enough users to be worth it. Which I assume it's also what happened to Bodypaint.

Of course, you probably have actual usage statistics, I'm just saying how it looks to me by just seeing that people use in tutorials and on Youtube. Looks like people would even rather use the Physical Renderer. And from the, admittedly little tests I did, I get it since ProRender seems slower that that.

And now you have Redshift. You'd probably be better off making that work with AMD cards. If I'm not mistaken there's something in the Redshift FAQ about eventually supporting AMD.

Redshift is a separate product and currently it is not part of C4D, and even if it were, it is not platform agnostic. ProRender is, afaik only, or one of few GPU renderers that works cross platform and is well integrated in C4D already. I don't see a reason not to continue the development of it and offer more to users without platform compromises or additional cost...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Fair enough I guess. If you have the resources to do it. I guess I'm biased since I have no interest in it and would prefer to see other things getting attention.

Cheers!

I am not into ProRender either. To be honest, I don;t do much rendering these days, would love to get some time to do that again...

Ah. My main thing right now is animations, which I can't really do without Redshift.
So I was quite happy when I heard MAXON got it. :) I hope it means deeper integration soon, like maybe getting it to use the new nodes from R20.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:19 AM, Hrvoje said:

Why is it a waste of development? :)

Prorender is around 42x slower than Redshift.

I never did any performance comparison between the two. Interesting to see that you did :P

Well, really, it's slower than any alternative.

OK, technically it's "free", but surely if you make money with C4D then the time savings Redshift provides (not only for the final renders, but for lookdev as well) are worth more than the initial $500 and the $250 per year it costs. I'd say the cost is almost insignificant.
If you don't make money with C4D then OK, but I don't really get it how you can afford C4D then. Unless you've got so much money to afford spending thousands on a hobby. In which case, well... the price of Redshift shouldn't mean much.

You are not taking into account people on Mac and AMD users. It is quite an investment to get a PC with adequate GPU + 3rd party render engine and learn another OS....

I was curious if anyone has used Redshift using an iMac?

I downloaded the trial version and it seems to work ok with an iMac but was wondering if there are any issues before I buy the full version.

Here is my setup:

High Sierra 10.13.6

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 680MX 2048MB

Cinema 4D R20

On 5/12/2019 at 2:27 AM, Astronomic said:

I was curious if anyone has used Redshift using an iMac?

I downloaded the trial version and it seems to work ok with an iMac but was wondering if there are any issues before I buy the full version.

Here is my setup:

High Sierra 10.13.6

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 680MX 2048MB

Cinema 4D R20

Well with that GPU you're not going to be happy for long and run out of VRAM really fast. Redshift, just as Octane, benefits from high-end GPU's and the 680 is not even midrange anymore.

11 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Well with that GPU you're not going to be happy for long and run out of VRAM really fast. Redshift, just as Octane, benefits from high-end GPU's and the 680 is not even midrange anymore.

Ok, Thank You!