Sign in to follow this  
bnine

Rigging a strap / chain

• Topic Author
  • @natevplas @Cerbera Wow this rig is awesome!  I do plan to add more links to my strap eventually, do you have a link to a tutorial so I can learn this technique from the ground up?

I notice that the mesh does morph a little bit, it sort of bends where it shouldn't. Is there any way to avoid this? I also do want to subdivide it with a value of 3. If I subdivide the editor to 1 and subdivide the renderere to 3, would the mesh interact like it's subdivided once but the renderer will be smooth as a babys but?  

I really like that I can put the entire thing into a null and animate the null with the dynamics still working, this is awesome! 

Thank you for your help, guys! Really appreciate it :) 

6 minutes ago, bnine said:

I notice that the mesh does morph a little bit, it sort of bends where it shouldn't. Is there any way to avoid this?

Yes, almost certainly. Nate's idea about linear splines had merit, but if it was me, I would use the mesh deformer, and for my lower res mesh I would use geo with few enough segments that can't bend where it shouldn't, and the dynamics can be calculated off that before being passed to the high-res original, which will just follow along regardless of what you do subdivision-wise. Does that make sense ? Got lots of client stuff on at the moment, so don't have time to make you a file, but the mesh deformer is fairly straightforward, and there a few tuts on Youtube that show how you'd use it...

You are correct that if you increase SD to L3, then with our first iterations it would bend all the more, but using the mesh deformer you can entirely circumnavigate that problem...

6 minutes ago, bnine said:

Thank you for your help, guys! Really appreciate it :) 

You're welcome - thanks for coming back and telling us how it's going ! :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Okey I've looked at both setups (with my beginner-intermediate c4d eyes) and I'm not sure which way to go. I've seen the mesh deformer in action and it looks like it's mainly used for softbody animation. I'm not quite sure how I would get it to work with the watch-strap I've got. I tried following a tutorial but my mesh goes all over the place. Might be because I've got lots of objects. 

I like the way a spline would work but I don't want it to deform in any way. How about rigging this thing with joints? Would that work? I've finished the strap and the end-link has to different "hinges" that I would love to have the same type of dynamics as everything. I got one above and one below as you can see below. image.thumb.png.514d88744f0c6e082ccd1c6ecf06725e.png

I've tried following lot's of tutorials but it's hard to adapt the tutorials that show you how to make a simple rope or a simple chain with clonerobjects - to my chain with different objects and extra hinges and so on. I appreciate all your help folks, if anyone has a direct link to a tutorial that might suit my needs that would be great! :) 

Thanks again, @Cerbera @natevplas

When I have finished the latest round of client work I will make you a mesh deformer setup myself that will work. But doing it with joints is also an option, though one I would hesitate to recommend to a beginner - rigging comes with a lot more potential problems, and those problems will be harder to solve than the different issues you get doing it the other ways...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Sounds awesome dude! I'd love to get som help with this, as well as learning how to do it myself next time. If you want I can send you the full file which is a bit different from the one I uploaded before. I've made a couple of changes since then. 

Thanks again, man. This really helps me out big time :)

Ben

• Topic Author
  • Hey @Cerbera, I was wondering if you had some extra time to have a look at my project. I'm still getting stuck no matter what direction I take with this chain and I cant really find any suitable tutorial online. Don't stress it if your are busy! :) 

Thank you
    Ben

Hi Ben

Yeah, sorry - as you guessed I am really struggling for time here, such that I am not currently finding myself with the sort of whole afternoon free I'd need to do this for you...

But I have done quick tests to prove to myself that the mesh deformer method should work, and although I can't guarantee that it will do in your final file, if you want to find out, I can still help you make it in stages, so here is Stage 1. 

1. Get your final model file, strip out any dynamics tags or existing animation controls, and put all components of it under a Connect, with Weld Off. This is your 'target' mesh for the mesh deformer.

2. Put a protection tag on that connect so you can't move or select it by mistake.

3. Now the difficult bit, where we make the 'cage' (the controlling mesh for our mesh deformer), and this is what I didn't have time to do for you ! You need to make a single segment cube that completely covers every single chain link in your target mesh, but only just ! Each 1 box must entirely encompass one link (if there a single part sticking through anywhere that will break the mesh deformer), and yet it must still not touch any neighbouring cube (or that will break the spline wrap component of this). It's REALLY precise work to get this right, and the success or failure of this rig depends on how well you manage it, so REALLY try hard ! :) You can start this with simple cloners, much as you made the main rig, but you may struggle to get it precise enough that way, so don't hesitate to make it editable, and move the bits manually yourself if you can't get the cube clones to align properly.

Here's an example one showing how to deal with any angled pieces (cage cube x-rayed here so you can see both meshes). You may wonder why I haven't moved the bottom left corner edge of the cage in to match the underlying mesh. You can do this if you like but there's is no technical need because we only care about the dimensions of the cube in the direction of the animation, if you see what I mean. As long as no original mesh sticks through at any point, and no box touches its neighbour, we should be fine.

1082540907_cageexample.thumb.jpg.9962b42e698bac91557d14b3d6938335.jpg

When you have that done, pls post a close up pic of what you have so I can check we're ready for stage 2...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sweet, @Cerbera. Thanks for your reply! I've read everything 5 times and I think I got it right. The only thing I am wondering is if the cage needs to fit the mesh when its subdivided or when it's not, or both. In any case, I made my cages slightly taller so it fits both. Also, should i add a custom cage to the end-strap/hinge (as seen in the last picture). The hinge is not currently in the connect object, but I can move it in there. 

I used a cloner for all three. I actually "reverse-engineered" it a bit, the cloner was more accurate it getting equal spaces between the links so I basically used the cloner object as reference and moved my mesh so they are all spaced equal and are the same size length-wise. Nifty! 

Okey so here is my progress: 

2.thumb.png.c9438343d0c3966d10a6a28c680c4223.png3.thumb.png.4b8863f6d82bdb0554eb078f168fd12f.png4.thumb.png.45195723fd5d69f7a1ea24523abc7f37.png5_2.thumb.jpg.cbe916c84cec1441ba8f78db64802762.jpg

I know it looks like the links are coming through the cage on the last image but it's not, I think that is just cinema being weird on that angle. 

Thank you for helping me out! :) 

Ben

• Topic Author
  • Hey @Cerbera, how is my model looking? Don't stress it if you got loads of stuff to do, I appreciate the help you have already given me :)

Regards
    Ben

Sorry dude - didn't see your May 10 reply for some reason.

Your work looks totally fine so far - well done for doing that so accurately. 

Next step is to bevel deformer the low res mesh group so that we get slightly rounded ends to those low res blocks. As they are now, they will only be able to move a tiny amount before being stopped dead by a neighbouring section, and the bevels, which we will nail into the mesh when perfect should allow that movement to be a lot looser and more reasonable...

I'm off out for a bit now, but will experiment to find you the best settings for that if I get some spare time later tonight...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera Thanks man! 

I think I've beveled them correctly to give more air between mesh-cage. Was not quite sure how to set it up but I think I got it. Have a look:

2.thumb.png.29c56b3f67315fcb813a635d61f7855d.png

• Topic Author
  • Struggeling a bit with uploading images to C4D cafe. But here is another view @@Cerbera 

Capture.thumb.png.8915d8d4b84f419bd322a28252469493.png