adamfilip

Spline Drawing with Pen, Limit Axis

Im drawing with the PEN Tool in FRONT view. when I draw it looks fine in front view, but in perspective view each point. is at a different Z Depth

How do i limit the Points to the same plane/depth

Turning off Z Axis doesnt seem to work fo rme.

Tried snapping tools. so far havent found a setting that works.

searched for video tutorials on this. havent found the right one yet

Would appreciate some suggestions

No, if you are drawing in Front view, they should all be on the same XY plane regardless of snap or axis constraints.

Have you got the latest version of R18 ? Your profile says not, and if memory serves correctly I think that got fixed towards the end of the R18 cycle, so you may just need to update...

Until then, it may be a small PITA, but you can always just put them back to planar by quantize scaling to 0 on 1 axis via the scale tool, or even quicker, zeroing it out in the coordinates manager.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry old Signature, I have latest R20

• Topic Author
  • hmm when i create a new spline it all stays on same plane. but I am tyring to edit a spline i exported from illustrator.

and it acts funny.

Ah OK - that is a different problem, that as you have noticed, seems to only affect illustrator splines. I think this has been raised once or twice before, but probably worth reporting to MAXON anyway. It 'shouldn't' matter, but just out of interest was that exported from AI as a v8 file ?

CBR

OK, well other than reporting it, and the workarounds above, not much we can do about that...

CBR

One workaround:

Get your Beziers set up visually correct in front view - ignoring the z variations. Then select all your points and scale them to zero in the z axis (ie looking fron the top down). This will flatten the handles in Z - but should keep the arrangement in X / Y.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but just thought I'd add this info in case it's helpful. Apologies if you already knew about it.

There's a free (if you have Cineversity) plug-in that allows you to copy and paste vector/spline art straight from Illustrator. It's called CV-ArtSmart and is downloadable through the CV-Tool plugin (not sure if there is a direct download). Just thought I'd mention it, as it makes going from Illustrator to C4d a little faster. Works with r20 from Illy CC 2019.

I think what is going on is that the imported spline isn't at zero on Z. Illustrator files always import/open on XZ, so when we want it on XY we have to rotate it. If the axis isn't at zero on Z to begin with, it will be off once we rotate to XY. 

And in case anyone was wondering why 2D splines drawn in XY tend to come in on XZ it is because in 3D space XZ is the plane for table tops, which is where traditional drawing/drafting is done.

• Like 1

Guys, I need to make a correction. Illustrator files come into C4D on XY. CAD files come in on XZ.

In a test, my AI splines came in at world zero on Z and editing with pen tool kept everything on zero. Of course, I am still using R18, so the issue may very well be with R20.

Sorry for any confusion.