Hi,

I’m trying to close the gap between the triangle and the middle surface. Bottom is the same with a smaller triangle. M-B leaves marks on the mesh. What tool should I use? Picture attached. Thank you for your time. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.56.23 AM.png

Not sure I'm understanding exactly what you're trying to do. Can you post the scene?

File attached. Trying to close the gaps on the top and bottom. I did it with M-B but it looks sloppy. Now I’m trying to trim the overlapping and I can’t. It doesn’t let me. Maybe there is a better way to do the whole thing. Please let me me know. Thank you.

Close Polygon hole should do it, but because you've used a horrible boole (or maybe allowed caps in a generator), that might have problems, as it will some other poly tools from this point forward. The best and most correct way to solve this is to clean up that geometry so that there are even points across planes and solve the top ngon CPH creates to quads.

CBR

I tried CPH with no luck. M-B did a sloppy job. How do I trim the overlapping?

M-B did not do a sloppy job - you made a sloppy model, and then asked the tools to do the impossible with it ;)

You can't bridge that section because there are big differences in polygon density on both sides of the model. You need actual poly modelling skills now to solve that !

I might do it for you later if I get time but describing how to do that step by step is a way beyond the remit of any single post...

However, as with most things in Cinema, there is probably a quick-fix, lazy solution as well. In this case that would be phong breaking the neighbouring edges once you have that bit capped.

CBR

Oh, it’s fine please don’t waste your time with it. It bothers me I can’t trim that tiny overlapping on the sides. What would you do besides... throwing it in the trash bin :-))? Thank you.

No need to throw it away, you just need to know which bits of a loft are the good bits, and which ones you should turn off (caps in the case of lofts, sweeps and extrudes) and pop in the bin :)

Here we go, I'll show you. These are the good bits of that loft.

164708997_loftfix.thumb.jpg.48c395bebc9678a87298eaf0e25ae02c.jpg

Why are these the good bits ? Well look at them. Lovely nice, (mostly) even quads, that will respond beautifully to all the polygon tools.

So we just need to replace the rubbish other surfaces, and then the whole object will be this lovely. Standby - I am working on it.

Here's the first step, in which we select these edges hold shift, and stitch n sew one side to the other to get the bottom surface.

1287609220_loftfix2.thumb.jpg.79aeb63d4b03e9ef62d64c8577b4bff3.jpg

And then we need to add some more edge loops to that so that we have enough to bridge to the top. Experience tells me 5 will do it.

Continued in next post...

CBR

• Like 1

OK, next bit is selecting these edges (U,B), then Edge Cut (click / drag right in viewport, play with modifier keys to see what they do) to add 5 loops there... yours will be more nicely spaced than mine ;)

1435834935_loftfix3b.thumb.jpg.50d85fe61d224b63117145cd5a51cf1d.jpg

Now let's go do the small end...

Select these edges with the Path Select Tool, and SnSew them, holding shift to create a new surface as you do it.

1899281632_loftfix4.thumb.jpg.21c77934bc5fb0ba18b68135fc8ed608.jpg

Do what we we did last time and Edge Cut 5 loops into that.

4b.thumb.jpg.5427c8e6760bc97824215a269e5a4bb0.jpg

Now is the time for close poly hole, and because we have flawless topology that will now work to close those 2 gaps like so...

33964892_loftfix5.thumb.jpg.0e6434c05f8abfc9d2ba2730fcdffe9e.jpg

And now we just play 'connect the dots'. Let's do the lower ones first. Points mode, select the first pair, hit M,M to connect. Rinse and repeat for the other 4.

To do the top lot, we can get there faster if just cut the edges we need in, using stellar topology (and more specifically the line cut tool), like this...

1896751511_loftfix6.thumb.jpg.ffee94def830b6144e6e0218fccc1461.jpg

Notice how I have used the corner quads to redirect the edge flow up from the base, AROUND the cap and down the other side. That is what makes this a good solve. Were we to subdivide this it would behave flawlessly, and even if we didn't all the deformers and dispalcers and sculpt tools will all work brilliantly with this mesh now we've taken a little time to do it properly.

Then we need to do that again on the other end, where the order of operation will be exactly the same.

CBR

• Like 1

Very nice. I stitched the back and I’m doing the rest of it now. Thank you so much for lesson. 

• Namaste 1