Sign in to follow this  
bentraje

Align Rotations Based on An Edge

Hi, 

Is there a way to align rotations based on an Edge properly? I used to do it manually but this time since it is for an Archviz, I need to be accurate. 

Here is an illustration of my problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6rqbvokopn3b6h/c4d084_align_angled_rotation_properly.mp4?dl=0

Is there a way around this? 
Thank you for looking at my problem. 

Yes. You need Axis Extension, my friend, which is a real pain to explain in words, and is about as intuitive as a quantum hyperdrive might be to a squirrel :)

Nige has got us covered though. Not sure if he shows rotation in this, but principal is the same, and does work with that.

https://vimeo.com/183969462

Or, if you don't want to bother with all that then you can align the workplane to the main sloping poly on the first model, using Align Workplane to Selection  then create your second model on that plane.

CBR

Here's a little GIF in case anyone else is confused. Since (maybe) R18 we no longer have to worry about swapping L and R mouse buttons instantaneously.

We can hold Ctrl & R-click, and drag the axis to our first aligning point, then let control and RMB go, then at our leisure l-click and choose the second aligning point on the other model.

Here I am aligning the mid point of my shape (via vertex snap) with the mid point on the sloping model (via mid-point snap).

1522471796_AxisExtensionRotate.thumb.gif.560a0730f9d6e934e34d6799241726e4.gif

CBR