Sign in to follow this  
Manny Jimenez

Normal Map seams on Subdivided mesh.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

OK, there may be some bad news. A little Google Fu has found this relatively recent article which rather gives the impression that Cinema simply has a broken implementation of Normal Maps on UV'd objects ! By this guy's account all he had to do was swap to a third Party Renderer and the seams were instantly gone. If it is the case that's very disappointing, and we can add it to the other UV thing Cinema still can't deal with - OpenSubDiv. I'm surprised nobody else here has discovered this in their character workflows - I don't do much character stuff so hadn't run into the issue myself so far, but I would have thought there was a fair few people doing normal maps in Z-brush...

Sorry it's not better news. but if you open a support case with MAXON about it that will hopefully bring it to their renewed attention.

I will just ask - have you tried baking it out as displacement instead ? Maybe that would work where normal maps failed ?

CBR

I'm starting to think this as well but I just tried it in Redshift and it's hasn't helped.

But here's the weird part, I baked out a test normal in C4D, and the errors are gone. I'm not sure what's going on.

OK, well that's info to the contrary isn't it, so maybe there is some hope after all ?! :/

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I reached out to MAXON support with this new info. Hopefully they can help me out. 

44 minutes ago, Manny Jimenez said:

I've tried this as well, the problem is when I bring the map from Substance back into C4D, the shading errors are still there. If it's not too much trouble, could you bake out your normal map and try it in C4D? I'd like to confirm I'm not crazy. Lol

So far, I'm getting the same results over two different machines.

You are not crazy, I'm getting the same errors after baking in Substance and opening in C4D.

• Topic Author
  • 46 minutes ago, Lonchaney said:

You are not crazy, I'm getting the same errors after baking in Substance and opening in C4D.

Awesome! That's good news. Thanks for testing it out for me!

Happy to help. I'm curious if there is a solution though...

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Lonchaney said:

Happy to help. I'm curious if there is a solution though...

I'll for sure post the solution. Thanks again for the help!

• Topic Author
  • Alright fellas,

I got a an update. I think I got a pretty good idea of what's going on. I tested the same Normal Maps in different render engines. The seams don't show up in Octane at all. In Redshift, they do show up, but when you override the Gamma and set it to 1, they go away completely.

So seeing how Redshift was rendering seams before linearizing the map, I think this is all about how the Physical Render handles the linear workflow. The problem is, I can't replicate what I'm getting in Octane/Redshift with Physical. I'm using Redshift on the final animation anyways, but I still want to get to the bottom of this :)

@Cerbera @Lonchaney