Sign in to follow this  
GSwartz

Interactive 3D with Hair

I have a customer who, to this point, has had me create only visualizations of their product.  It involves creating grass which I used the hair system to do.  They just asked me if I could give them something to allow one of their customers to rotate and zoom in on one of their models.  So, I'm wondering a couple of things.

1. What would be the best solution to achieve this?  I'm hoping there's something faster/easier than Unity/Unreal as I haven't done enough in either to feel comfortable with that.  Maybe something like SketchFab?
  2. Since the grass was created with hair, I'll need to export that.  I know it's a post effect, but is there any way to create accurate geometry that will match the render?  I'd rather stay in c4d for this than recreate all of the grass setups in another program that could do it with real polygons.

Thanks.

C4D can do hair with real polygons too. Under the Generate Tab, choose triangle or square or similar and a 3 or 4 sided poly will be generated for each hair. Then when it looks as you need, make the hair object editable to preserve that geo as a single mesh object...

Likewise, you do not have to resort to a whole game engine in order to view that live ! There are a whole plethora of 3D viewers out there each having their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. You should just get out there download a few and try them. I do hear good things about the new Microsoft 3D viewer, but have not had cause to use it myself.

CBR

Sketchfab has a bunch of amazing models for viewing and for sale and they're all "interactive" in the sense that you can rotate, zoom in and out while retaining high-quality. Check them out. I'm guessing might be able to use it for clients to view as well. Not sure if there's a private/password protected system on there, but it's worth a look.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ivy-herb-a5f070f15c304e3eb7111e782e5b8636

• Topic Author
  • Problem is that I have to use what I've modeled for the client.  Exporting the model with the hair grass as geo (flat strips) results in a file over 300mb.  Based on Sketchfabs pricing, I'd need their $250/month plan just to upload that one model.  And I have dozens.  I'll have to keep researching.

Oh wow. I never really looked at their pricing. 

• Topic Author
  • My client just responded stating they want it to be on the web, so I'm back to sketchfab or any other suggested online service if anyone knows of a better/cheaper one.

Can you not do it like VR object photography, which is all over the web already and can be various formats, flash / html etc. i use garden gnomes object2vr app. All I do from cinema is duplicate the process of shooting the rows and lift the camera up for next row etc. In the final view you can spin it all around and zoom in as far as your render resolution allows.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • On 4/12/2019 at 11:56 AM, deck said:

Can you not do it like VR object photography, which is all over the web already and can be various formats, flash / html etc. i use garden gnomes object2vr app. All I do from cinema is duplicate the process of shooting the rows and lift the camera up for next row etc. In the final view you can spin it all around and zoom in as far as your render resolution allows.

Deck

That looks interesting.  Can you expound on your camera setup?  My first thought would be to target the camera to a null centered in the object and have it aligned to a circle spline.  Then divide 360 by the number of shots I want to know how far around the circle to go with the cam for each shot.  Once I do a full rotation, I'd move the circle spline up on the Y axis and repeat it.  Does this all sound about right?  If so I'm not sure how far to move the spline up for each row.  And does the circle spline's radius decrease as you move it up kind of like matching a hemisphere over the object?

Sounds like you pretty much have it. You are aiming for that hemisphere outline with the camera. You can send the camera around the objects but generally I find its better to keep camera still and rotate the object. Rather than mess about with splines just drop your camera in a null that is in the centre, I think you referred to that when yo said "align" to null.

Heres a basic file I was pitching to a guy that did cars in the real world, Ive set this one up with a time effector to take care of the rotation for me, and as it was a single row ( for a car ) I didn't need to elevate the camera but for the next row you just rotate the null up a bit, so i have this file set up for 36 frames, so each step will be 10 degrees, this makes for a real smooth playback, but you can go as few or as many as you like, ecommerce type stuff tends to be half that or even less as you have to retouch each image, its a right pain.

So if you choose 10 degrees of rotation you may want to choose 10 for elevation too but it could be different, there are no rules on that.

Obviously the combination of rows and final resolution will contribute to the final file size, but they don't need to be huge print files and if its not on the web then it doesn't matter.

Its nice thing to do in cinema cos all the files are perfect, unlike the real world where a kick of tripod or nudge of object means you have to start again.

So with the object rotting 10 degrees per frame, you just output the 36 frames and you have one row, elevate camera for as many rows as needed and your done, pour those into your app of choice and output flash interface or whatever you need. probably best set up row 2 from frame 36-72 etc and so on, 

Rambled a bit but think Ive covered it, it works really well when done, and easily put on web if required, a joy to do in cinema compared to real world.

Deck

PS, it doesn't have to be the full 360, you can cover as much or as little as you like, just needs to be setup in the app to match your angles for the output viewer.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 08.39.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 08.40.07.png

VR turntable basic.c4d

thinking about it, its probably a bad idea to do the second row as frames 36-72 etc ( only in file above ) as that will change the inheritance rotation I believe, so prob best to keep the frames to 36 ( or your chosen output ) and then do the elevations as different takes.

Deck