adamjm

Modelling Circular Cut-out into Shape

Make the n-side a child of the torus. Call the Reset PSR Command. Nside goes where torus is. Now drag it back out from under there in the Object manager, it doesn't need to be a child any more.

CBR

If I have to insert a circular shape, I always take a disc object, set the parameters, put it where I want it, make it editable and then do a 'connect and delete' from the attributes manager.

I find it a bit faster, and you have a bit more control in 3d space. You can also see the polygon better, because they're already there, unlike a spline.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • ok thanks guys, looking at it now :)

• Topic Author
  • Apologies Cerbera, but it's not clear by your discription in the above text.. I kind of need to see it  visually. I'm still struggling to find how to connect the two objects.. Ideally I'd merge the two and that's it.. but when i do that, my hexagon dissapears?  Is there a tutorial somewhere that looks at this specific modelling technique? I think that's going to be easier 

Thanks for your feedback anyway 

• Topic Author
  • You can see below, I've merged the two objects, made them editable and yet they still appear separate.. Am i missing something here?

appreciate your help guys

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 12.29.56.png

• Topic Author
  • I've tried this guys, but my geometry seems to be all over the place..

any further help would be great..

thanks 

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 12.50.06.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 12.56.40.png

There comes a time when it is more efficient to just give you the model. I suspect we reached that point back on Page 1...

Cutout done.c4d

Also fixed some poly weirdness at the front seam...

1451970860_CircleinSquare4.thumb.jpg.1a4a4d07ff51bdf30b7dfc308f819144.jpg

Here's a tutorial about it, showing just how quick it can be to do this...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Brilliant thanks CBR!! I cut holes, but i need to learn how to do it accurately, otherwise i just end up doing it in photoshop which i don't like.. I'll get there eventually.. I just miss working in a studio where you can ask the person next to you and you can see exactly what they mean..and see it visually :-)  Appreciate your help anyway .. It just takes time to learn where everything is I guess

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR,

Can i ask how you get your geometry lines all central on your model from last week? below.. Is it cuts you use or is it something you select before you make it editable?

interested to know :-)

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 13.07.16.png

36 minutes ago, adamjm said:

Can i ask how you get your geometry lines all central on your model from last week?

Sure. Knowing that circles work best when inner extruded from an even group of 4 polys I knew that before doing any of the inner extrudes to create the ring, I should check that the 2 main edge loops running across X and Z planes were central, so I just moved them to 0 on their respective planes in the coordinates manager. And if your starting geo is perfectly even, then so is all the geo you create from that topology (using things like inner extrudes etc) so it kinda looked after itself after that...

When inserting new loops in R14 you don't have the superior knife tools of later versions that make inserting at specific percentages easy, so in your case the best way to add loops is to make an edge ring selection, and then use the Connect Command , which will place a loop at exactly 50% between neighbouring loops.

CBR

• Like 1