Sign in to follow this  
SKaiser

Is Cycles 4D worth it?

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the half price NAB sale and buying cycles 4D, I already have Redshift and feel it suits me for 99% of my needs.

I will primarily be using cycles to Render out Xparticles only as being able to render out Xparticles effectively without creating geometry would be cool.

Can anyone let me know if they feel it's worth buying. I would most likely render out all other scene elements with redshift and Xparticles with Cycles - is that feasible? 

Thanks guys!

3 hours ago, SKaiser said:

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the half price NAB sale and buying cycles 4D, I already have Redshift and feel it suits me for 99% of my needs.

I will primarily be using cycles to Render out Xparticles only as being able to render out Xparticles effectively without creating geometry would be cool.

Can anyone let me know if they feel it's worth buying. I would most likely render out all other scene elements with redshift and Xparticles with Cycles - is that feasible? 

Thanks guys!

Hi There.  I did the same thing - purchased Cycles for use with X-Particles.  I'm also a Redshift user.   I think it's okay deal at 50% off but after testing a few things out I think I'm going to move to Houdini Indie for Particle based work within the time that it takes for my Maintenance to run out.    Cycles is much slower than Redshift in my testing so it feels a bit backwards.  I'd say if you are going to use X-particles exclusively for SIMs then it's probably a decent buy, but if you are in it for the long run and are interested in learning Houdini, save your money for that.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks mate, good advice.

I've also been thinking of moving to Houdini. Xparticles doesn't work so great out of the box as Insydium claims it does but the steep learning curve for Houdini is a a major issue.....

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, SKaiser said:

Thanks mate, good advice.

I've also been thinking of moving to Houdini. Xparticles doesn't work so great out of the box as Insydium claims it does but the steep learning curve for Houdini is a a major issue.....

Cheers!

Yea, Houdini is a pig to learn but rewarding.   I think it really depends on how far you want or need to go.  One thing I've been finding though, is that I save a lot of time with caching and can run much larger sims when trying to learn Houdini where as I burn out the clock and my ambitions doing the same in XP.  I don't regret upgrading XP and buying Cycles but I'm not sure I can give it the full recommend either.

Another thing to consider is the job market.  There are way more positions available for Houdini users than C4D/XP

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I agree with you, it feels I quickly reached the limit of what XP can do. I'll definitely  go the Houdini route at some point. Thanks for the advice :Bananeyessss:

So far the Cycles4d is pretty good. My biggest issue is that they only allow one computer activation at a time per license. It would be nice to be able to have at least two enabled at a time since I have a work computer and a home machine. Even something like an auto activation/de-activation option like Marvelous Designer has would be nice. Of course an Internet connect is needed each time for that to work.

Edit: Ok so I was wrong. There is a setting in the preferences to automatically turn the license on and off. I'll also say that Cycles seems faster and more interactive than the native built in rendering engines. I haven't compared it to any of the others, but I'd guess Redshift could be faster if using a GTX card.