Doughaddy

Colliding Materials on Mesh

Hey there, I'm having a strange problem. I have a topography that I've duplicated and offset by a small distance. The material for the top is satellite imagery, and the material for the bottom is a brown colour. I then "Connect objects and delete" the two layers. In C4D the result looks fine but when I export as a collada (dae 1.4) for web, it's doing weird things. The farther away I get from the combined object the more the top and bottom get overlapped -- I mean the bottom material shows through the top more and more. Here are two screenshots so you can see what I mean. 

I've tried optimising the layers before and after combining them. I've tried moving them apart a bit more... nothing doing yet. 

I'd really appreciate some help from a pro! Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 3.20.54 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-04-11_at_3_20.50_PM.png

• Topic Author
  • One other observation is that this does sort of happen in C4D too, but I'm not sure if it's related. When you select the lower layer in C4D in point mode and pan away from the objects, the farther out you go the more of the lower layer can be seen through the upper layer. 3 layers attached... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTEAWxGKupBH-v7jIK9XWLh3cvJ_GyjL/view?usp=sharing

Sounds like a viewport culling issue to me. Have you tried rescaling your planes by a high factor (say by a 100) to see if the problem is still there?

Having geometry close to each other will always provide for issues.

But why layer the geometry as you are trying to do? Why not simply layer the materials on a single geometry?

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, C4DS said:

But why layer the geometry as you are trying to do? Why not simply layer the materials on a single geometry?

I'm pretty sure that's doable with a DAE export. Lots of limitations with that... I'll give it a try tho! 

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, C4DS said:

I tried that using front and back, but I also need to bake the material so that I can export it as a DAE ... but I don't see any way to bake both front and back. One of them gets discarded...  arg. 

37 minutes ago, Doughaddy said:

I tried that using front and back, but I also need to bake the material so that I can export it as a DAE ... but I don't see any way to bake both front and back. One of them gets discarded...  arg. 

I meant using a layer shader or fusion shader or similar, where you combine the different textures, and apply that as a single material to the single geometry

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, C4DS said:

I meant using a layer shader or fusion shader or similar, where you combine the different textures, and apply that as a single material to the single geometry

Sounds very promising... would you mind showing me how you do that? Here's the two layers I'm using. Thanks very much! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15P96Tnc7te0PxhguwyxCtc2vxX6OZViW/view?usp=sharing

15 hours ago, Doughaddy said:

Apologies for misreading your question.

My original interpretation of your problem was that you needed two layered materials, where the topo texture had some alpha or transparency. Hence the suggestion to use layered textures instead of layered geometry.

However, I now understand that you need separate materials on the front and back of the geometry and therefore had duplicated the geometry, assigning the back material on the bottom geometry and the front topo material on the top geometry. This front/back information was only brought later into the discussion. And as such, my original suggestion for using layered material is actually of no use.