Sign in to follow this  
AlexisB

Align material correctly on Extrude ?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

So i am using a "Concrete Road" material consisting of dark grey and 2 yellow lines horizontally, i drew a road with the spline and added this material to it but the yellow line that is centered in the material is not following the path correctly.. using Octane for render..

Any help?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 2.54.25 PM.png

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

That'll be to do with how the material is mapped to the object.

What did you do with that spline to get the road as renderable geo ? We need to know that in order to tell you how to fix it.

CBR

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply! I drew a spline then added it under "Extrude" and applied the material. 

In any way the road doesn't look perfect too, it's jagged when it should be smooth and round just like the spline, i should research that later as well.

Thanks!

Ok, that'll be the issue. If you make the road a slightly different way you can solve both problems. Use a Sweep instead of an Extrude to sweep a straight spline along the original. Have a look at this...

1205434481_roadwaysweep.thumb.jpg.bfcdaa1f77c1b848c9b9a2bede3cb30f.jpg

On the left you can see the 2 splines I used in my sweep. Settings shown are for the path spline - important bits there are the Uniform interpolation and the amount of intermediate points, which govern how smooth the final shape will be. In the middle we have the result of the sweep (if yours doesn't look like this you probably have the splines in the wrong order under the sweep or the axis of the profile spline was not centered correctly). Note the smooth flow, and amount of polys we get due to our spline settings above...

On the right I have applied a material in UVW Mapping mode, and increased V-tiling to 20 because my road texture was only a single tile.

I don't use Octane, but presume this technique will work there too as it's not a render settings thing. As long as you can get the Octane material to use the UVs of the Sweep object it will work.

CBR

Ok so i drew a spline, centered it using Mesh/Axis Center as attached, then duplicated and added it under a Sweep.. Didn't really work.. What am i doing wrong?

Attaching references

spline 1.png

spline 2.png

spline 3.png

The first question we have to ask is 'Do your splines look like my splines ?' :) Your path spline is fine, but the profile spline, the second one, should be a short straight line describing the width of the road, like mine is, drawn at 90 degrees to it, NOT a copy of the first one.

CBR