Jump to content

Stathman

Cloner Object and Spline Effector

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I'm trying to align some clones on a spline with a spline effector.

I can't find a way to align them properly when the cloner object mode is on grid array.

The only way I can do it is to make the object editable and then align them with a spline wrap.

I would like to avoid this solution because my scene gets very heavy.

Can you think of a better solution?

 

Thanks

Spline Effector Off.png

Spline Effector On.png

Spline Wrap.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any reason you can't just clone a group of 3 cubes directly on to the spline in Object Mode ? 

 

581255485_3cubesSplineObjectmode.thumb.jpg.ef1da22b9a326c0318d5d373df2d2231.jpg

 

CBR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it shouldn't be necessary to make your cloner editable before applying the Spline Wrap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

    Is there any reason you can't just clone a group of 3 cubes directly on to the spline in Object Mode ? 

     

    581255485_3cubesSplineObjectmode.thumb.jpg.ef1da22b9a326c0318d5d373df2d2231.jpg

     

    CBR

    Sweet approach.

    This is not the real scene. I wanted to use grid array so I can easily change the number of clones if necessary.

    This is a nice solution, thanks! 

    8 hours ago, natevplas said:

    Also, it shouldn't be necessary to make your cloner editable before applying the Spline Wrap.

    I know, thanks!

    I was trying to give an example.

    First picture: Just the clones with grid array

    Second picture: Grid array with the spline effector applied.

    Third picture: The clones baked and aligned to the spline with a spline wrap. Desired result but not with this method.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Stathman said:

    Sweet approach.

    This is not the real scene. I wanted to use grid array so I can easily change the number of clones if necessary.

    This is a nice solution, thanks! 

    You can't use that Grid Array mode and still get it to do what you want with the spline effector. You do have to abandon that, or at least produce a grid another way.

    For example what I showed you first was based on 3 grouped objects. But what if you replaced those with another cloner, in linear mode that just makes 3 copies of a single cube ? Then surely you have the best of both worlds - it's all parametric, and you can change numbers in either cloner ?

     

    CBR

    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

    You can't use that Grid Array mode and still get it to do what you want with the spline effector. You do have to abandon that, or at least produce a grid another way.

    For example what I showed you first was based on 3 grouped objects. But what if you replaced those with another cloner, in linear mode that just makes 3 copies of a single cube ? Then surely you have the best of both worlds - it's all parametric, and you can change numbers in either cloner ?

     

    CBR

    Yes, that's even better.

    Thank you!

    • Namaste 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

    ABOUT US:

    C4D Cafe is the largest CINEMA 4D community. We provide facilities for discussion, showcasing and learning our favorite software :)
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...