Sign in to follow this  
ottie

Rope with Fur

Posted (edited)

I am satisfied with the result of the hairs but not with the general texture of the strands. I would like them to be more "hairy", more "irregular" as the example below.

Thanks for your advices

hilos.gif

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in Titles / Removed formatting

Ideally you would also show us your result, so we have some clue what yours looks like now...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Here you have :(

Fils (00000).jpg

• Topic Author
  • I'm trying with noise displacement right now...

Attach a project file as well if you want us to help.

Displacement will probably be a good start.  You could also increase the number of hairs and control their length with a noise (something like Dents) which will give you mostly short hairs and a random long one every once in a while.

Your hairs are both thinner and shorter than those in your example. But you should be able to get them to look mostly the same using the features of the hair material, particularly frizz, kink and curl. Rope hairs like this are usually individual strands so shouldn't require a rope-like texture of their own. It should be a gradient that goes from the same colour as the main strands at the bases of the hair to slightly lighter than that at their tips.

Lastly, you can grow hair onto hair if that helps, but I don't necessarily think it would add any realism here.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • my result with a little bit of displacement and more hair

Fils (00000)2.jpg

For me the main problem with that is still that hairs aren't long enough, and that they emerge straight out at 90 degrees from the surface rather than flowing along and emerging more from the direction of it. You can do this by adding specific but subtle bend in the planar direction of the lines or by manually brushing it there with the hair tools.

I also suspect the end of your hairs have less thickness than at the roots, which also shouldn't be the case - those figures should be the same, or close to it.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I finally succeeded that effect, but i don't understand why the hair disappear after a few seconds of animation.

Yeah, I also noticed the hair is very flickery when it is there.  Probably has to do with the way you are animating the lines on.  I'm guessing you're using a Sweep and animating the start/end?  You might have to have the whole spline move so that the geometry you're putting hairs on doesn't change over time. 

If you want more help, attach a project file and I or someone else can take a look.

• Topic Author
  • thanks, i attach you the project, i simplificat the C4D file because i can't attach a file that weights more than 5mb, hope is usefull.

Hilos_03.c4d

Looks like you stripped the animation out, but that's ok.  I animated it with position keyframes and it's working great.

Hilos_04.c4d