Hey all,

I would like to gather some buying advice for the aforementioned device. Firstly, please everyone who comments (hopefuly plenty will!) PLEASE bear in mind I am not well versed in the whole eGPU thing, so craft your responses to someone with almost zero knowledge of these things and explain things in laymans terms.

So I have a mid 2015 MBP retina with these specs:

Processor – 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory – 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics – AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I use Cinema R20 and I occasionally purchase a month's floating Arnold licesne when I am ready to create a decent render. I have been spending a long time trying to perfect my modelling skills more than anything, so it's probably at the moment 80% of my time in Cinema spent on the technical aspects and 20% making things look nice. Would an eGPU benefit me in any way? I want to hold on to my set up for as long as possible – I also use it for freelance assignments when the client can't provide a machine for me to use – so if there's potential for a speed boost I'm open to options.

Any helpful information most welcome. Thanks!