Info News:
  • C4D Cafe 2.0 COMING SOON!

Sign in to follow this  
Kahuna

Overlaying a template in the viewport

Not sure where this should go, but I'm sure a helpful moderator will assist...

I need to render an image for a YouTube banner, and as the requirements are quite strange, taking into account all the various different display mediums, I'd like to place the objects within the confines of the central portion of the attached image.  I can't seem to find a way to do this, however.  Any suggestions?

A way to place it as a foreground image and make it opaque would be ideal.

Channel Art Template (Fireworks).png

No, helpful moderator doesn't know where it should go either - shall we plump for 'Miscellaneous Questions' and hope for the best ? :)

I was hoping the Foreground Object might be able to help, and the manual says it should show in the viewport and deal with alpha transparency, but I can't get that to work in practice - as far as I can see it globally ignores everything except colour, whether you try and add that via transparency, alpha, or even display tag.

And then I think we're out of options other than using it as a Viewport background in the normal way, which of course can't be in front of anything...

Will be interested to see if anyone else has ideas about this...

CBR

I think the quickest way is to place that as a texture on a plane and set the plane to x-ray mode. You can't control the opacity level, but it might be enough for you. Also would prob want to set your output size to match the largest area to help align your camera.

The old xray plane trick might be doable as @Vizn reminds us, and you could even make that a child of the camera so it goes wherever that does, and remains a fixed distance from it, but you'd probably need to assign it a protection tag as well so that you weren't constantly selecting it as you tried to click through to other things...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Cheers as usual lads.  That seems an awful faff though. I can't imagine I'm the first person ever to need this feature.  MAXON, are you reading this?

Can you think of any other 3D DCC's that have this functionality ? I can't, but I don't know them all...

CBR

I normally just put my layouts on a plane that is same dimensions as the render which I find works quite well. snapping the camera focus distance to the plane edge then keeps it all in place.

I believe one of the CV plugins will split psd layers and place them at the appropriate depth to still keep all the perspective, in order for you to put things imbetween layers, so that might work if you really need it to be in front, but the plane method is usually enough for me.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • I thought I'd share this here:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ghost_it.html

Essentially, it lets you "ghost" any window(s).  What I did was open my YouTube template in AcDsee, drag it over my C4D window and resize it exactly to the borders of my render, and reduced the opacity, so I could see C4D through it, and align it accordingly.  It also works the other way around, so if you click on C4D to move/resize your work or adjust the camera, you can see the image through it.

Awesome and free.  2 of my favourite things.

Hope this helps.