Hi, I did a comparison between my macbook air and a friends iMac.

I loaded c4d and exported with assets, so rendering exactly the same model and setting. I though the iMac would astound me but check out the images below (had to take photos).

Does anyone know the reason why the iMac would take so much longer (17 mins for the iMac and 11 for the Air).

Reason I ask is I am about to replace a logic board in a macbook pro and worried if it's not going to be any better than my Air.

20190417_163800_resized.jpg

20190417_163802_resized.jpg

They have different operating systems so you can't compare them. I am totally happy with my iMac and it has a way faster chip than the MacBook Air

Whoever said that things don't make you happy obviously didn't have Cinema 4D

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, the faster processor is why I thought the IMac woild be faster.

1 hour ago, teknow said:

They have different operating systems so you can't compare them

Yes I think this is right because back when Yosemite was released they didn't implement metal. But then again, that's a difference in graphics and probably has nothing to do with the processor.

Are the C4D versions same on both machines? Also, can you confirm if you saw 4 or 8 buckets while rendering on the iMac? I've got an iMac 5k 2015, if you don't mind, could you send the file? I'd be happy to render it here. I'm running Mojave and R20. It's a remote possibility, but maybe its file specific? Totally not sure.

C4D loves cores. The more cores, the faster the render in most cases. 

17 minutes ago, BigAl3D said:

C4D loves cores. The more cores, the faster the render in most cases. 

That's true but the MacBook Air has a dual core 1.7GHz proc :

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP683?locale=en_GB

Whereas the iMac has a quad core one :

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-3.4-27-inch-aluminum-late-2012-specs.html

Also, in both cases I'm talking about physical cores and not with multithreading.

For what it's worth, I have the 2013 Mac Pro trashcan which is from that time-frame, but with a better chip. Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM.

Rendered in R19:  1 min. :59 sec.

Rendered in R20:  2 min. :01 ec. 

• Topic Author
  • Wow that's fast compared to what I'm using.

I'm guessing I'll be limited to what I can do with upgrades for a macbook pro laptop.

Still don't understand why my dual core 1.7 GHz air is faster than a quad core 3.4GHz iMac.

Thanks

Hey, sorry to reply so late, I rendered the file you shared from dropbox. Physical renderer was selected by default so there were only two buckets and it took more time (00:02:07) but when I switched it to standard, it rendered in 00:01:17. Could it be that you rendered with physical on your friends iMac but switched to standard on your MBA? Thats the only valid explanation I can think of.

Edit: I did both renders on R20 in the aforementioned iMac 5K

• Topic Author
  • Ok, thanks for those details.

Very sure I had the same settings but I'll double check. 

I made a mistake once, guess it could happen again :) :) :).