Sign in to follow this  
cendrick

Rigging an EEG rig

Hello everyone,

I've never rigged anything before and I'm a bit unsure how to tackle this job. I have a pretty complex headset that I need to rig. I would like to be able to hold the top center area and have the rig stay together as I move it around. I also need each piece to be connected so that when one piece moves the attachments all move accordingly. So if a diode is moved the black cables move along with it.

What would you rigging masters suggest as the best method? Spline IK or Bone IK or something else?  Thank you for your advice...

Rick

rigging-1.JPG

My first thought would be Spline Dynamics (on the cables) and Connectors (on the Diodes), not bones necessarily.

I went and tried a different way: Soft body proxy.

Not too much control, but good fun none the less.

Grab the Collider Control to move your diode rig doodle around. If that works for you, you'll set it up in no time.

Otherwise with Spline Dynamics and connectors you'll have more control, but will take a bit longer.

Best

VH

DiodeRig_Proxy.c4d

• Topic Author
  • @Vertex Helix

Thanks for that tip. I do agree that this stuff is fun but time consuming.

Sadly I need exact control of each diode location and when the diodes are moved they also move the cables attached to them the correct amount without losing connection to the other end.

I know there are so many ways of doing this but I'm unsure where to begin. I'm watching an expresso tut now. I'll keep working on it.

Here is what I came up with.  Everything is controled with the joint at the top since that is what you wanted.  It's using joints with IK dynamics.  There are spline dynamics between the joints which can be used to control the spline that can become the wire.  To have the points of the spline constrained you do need some geometry so in the example I put two planes.  Adjust the dynamics setting to get it to move exactly the way you like.  Instead of joint ik you could also try spring constraint.  Cactus dan's spring constraint is pretty great if you wanted to download his tools for free and use those instead.

egg rig.zip

• Topic Author
  • @Fastbee Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to make this example. After playing with this over the past 12 hours I'm now going away from dynamics totally. I'm now simply trying to create rig where I can adjust each diode and the rubber cables move along with them. It's a bit mind blowing but I think I have a solution of attaching nulls to one side of each cable and then constraining them to the diode object. I also thought of using Cactus Dan's tools for this and I posted a question on the Discord board for Insydium since they are hosting the plugins. Sadly, they are not working in R20. I may have a go in R19 just to see how much easier his tools are compared to what I'm trying to do with IK in R20. 

Since I'm not using dynamics at this point...any other advice is welcome:) --Thank You!!!

Rick

@cendrick  If you are using R20 you should update that in your profile.

The big thing they advertised on Insydium was cactus dans tools working in R20 along with all plugins.

Cactus Dan's tools also have a pretty good spline controller thing.

https://youtu.be/iaTLCsomKsk

• Topic Author
  • @Fastbee I did update it. When you click on profile it errors but I was able to get in through the account settings option.

I'm still stumped on how to properly rig this thing. I'm able to rig with bones fairly well but the skin breaks apart too easily where each cable goes into its end position. I'm going crazy:confused:

11 hours ago, cendrick said:

but the skin breaks apart too easily where each cable goes into its end position. I'm going crazy:confused:

Hi, I could be wrong but it sounds like you didn't make the splines and the object they connect to as one object?

This would explain why the spline brakes away when bind and weighted to joints.

You could probably overcome this by adding more weights to the connection area from the main object joint, so when the cable flex/bend away from the connection.

Nearly forgot, you will have to do; Connect Object+Delete to be able do this.

This was made into one object and rigged with ik joints:

Link

20 hours ago, cendrick said:

I'm still stumped on how to properly rig this thing. I'm able to rig with bones fairly well but the skin breaks apart too easily where each cable goes into its end position. I'm going crazy:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Maybe show some pictures.

• Topic Author
  • @digitvisionsThank you for your suggestions. Yes, you are correct. I was trying to use multiple objects which was giving me all the issues. I'm not wanting to connect all the objects due to wanting to use them in other ways down the road. So I found a video showing how to connect cables to a plug so they can be moved around nicely. I think this will work for me on this job. I've learned a lot in this process and I appreciate you all helping me along. Here is the video showing what I'll try to achieve at this point.