Sign in to follow this  
Tesa Demiur

Camera path issues .

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Jed.

Hey Tesa, the Xpresso tag was only the node representation of the set driven keys: Just drafted a slider using User data to to drive the Spline Path for the sake of a better interface.

It's not needed really

@Vertex Helix Ahhh - set driver. Was going to pull your leg about the unnecessary range mapper in your scene with 1:1 correspondence ::):

@jed haha...I wish I'd tell you I put it there just to pull your leg!!! (but no, that C4D's auto routine and spoiled it for us):lol:

• Topic Author
  • Hi Jed,

How do I go on a seamless loop using your xpresso tag? If I set the constant to 100 or 120 I like it goes really slow, but ones the cursor hits the end of the timeline the object goes back to position 0. I would like to have the object keep moving along the spline. I can have that by increasing the frame numbers to let say 1000, but how do I achieve that on a 90F. Thank you.

The seamless loop scene was designed to loop (from zero) several times in one anim eg two and a half passes over say 200F.

Another way to generate any movement is by addition - adding a small value to the current position every frame. By changing the amount added, this method has a kind of 'speed control'. Due to the adding, the value sticks when you wind the anim back to zero. Most people see this as a problem, so put some kind of 'reset at frame zero' code in. This seems to be the behavior you are looking for - position value remains when timeline restarts.

In this file I have put a reset button in.

run-reset.c4d

Bear in mind that any scene that uses addition 'jumps' when you click in the viewport, although you can disable XP for tinkering purposes.

• Topic Author
  • Oh, this one is really nice Jed. I can adjust the speed with the control and it’s quite smooth. Thank you so much. 

I'm puzzled about the 'carry on at 90F' business - what you up to ?

• Topic Author
  • When I implemented your first Xpresso I didn’t have that seamless loop you told me about. The object was going back to its initial position instead of keeping moving along the spline once the cursor hits the last frame, no matter if it was the 90th or 200F. It wasn’t a continuous loop because I didn’t do it right probably. But your second code is really good, I love it. It does exactly what I need. I experimented a little with it and I took the camera and the cube out and had a pyramid on the circle. I wanted the tip of the pyramid to be on the circle facing the moving direction which it does, with the spline going through the middle of the pyramid. It’s looping seamlessly and I can adjust the speed which is really nice. However, at some point on the circle the pyramid flips having the base facing the direction and back with the tip after that.   Now the Up vector null doesn’t fix this problem. It might require some work in the Xpresso code. What do you think? File attached.

Pyramid .c4d

You need a rail. I usually just copy the main spline and drag it to one side. Sometimes it needs to be alongside, sometimes concentric - scaled up. Concentric would be for something like a helix.

rail.c4d

edit: re seamless -  align to spline only goes up to 100%. My bit of XP uses modulo to go

98%, 99%, 0%, 1%, 2%

ie goes past 100% seamlessly, without a jump.

• Topic Author
  • That’s awesome. Much appreciated...

Checkout how a rail tames this helix sweep - try with and without rail

helixrail.c4d