Unstable

Help with Sizing texture properly

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to UV map properly beyond just a simple cube. I saw someone post a link to a series of videos that really helped me understand (I thought). But when I started, I found I couldn't do the simplest thing. I'm looking at this tutorial video and at time mark 1:50 thru 2:12 he's sizing the projection cylinder and the numbers are changing size. No UV map created yet. I believe he's using a 4k material. Note how crisp his numbers look on the object and how tightly they are to each other. I can move and size the numbers by manipulating the projection object, but I've tried a 512, 1024 and 4k texture and still can't get my numbers as sharp or as close together as shown in the video even when I scale the projection object. Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong? I've attached my practice scene with materials. Thanks

uv_practice_ring_02.c4d

Hi Unstable, in your file I found no UV set created.

-Make your cuts and save them as selection, go to your UV layout

-click the magic wand button and choose a resolution (say 2048),

-then pick a top view in your viewport

-go the UV commands on your lower right and choose frontal projection

-then Relax UVs with the edges selection tag in the box choose ABF and press apply

-then Realign

-No back to your Material tab, choose UVW mode and increase the UV tile number

(The file included is just a guide on your project, by no means this is optimal UVing)

RingUVs.rar

digitvisions - I'm sorry, but I don't know where to find the default you're saying I should change to 1024.

Vertex - It seems like your answer is completely off the mark. If you look at the video tutorial, he hasn't even created a UV yet. Did you look at the video?

52 minutes ago, Unstable said:

I'm sorry, but I don't know where to find the default you're saying I should change to 1024.

It's in the Editor Tab of the Material Settings.

CBR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Sorry i was away, Yes as CBR already said in the material settings.

Here is an example, i used another uv map. also added a uv tag for you.

tex_fix+tire.zip 717.75 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks. I’ll try later today. Have a happy Easter 

I finally got to try it and this works perfectly (of course). Thanks so much Cerbera amd digitvisions. I didn't find this the first time because I was looking for the default property, instead 'default' was the value of the Texture Preview Size. Thanks again.

• Namaste 1