Sign in to follow this  
Tesa Demiur

Gradient Banding

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I’m trying to get rid of the ripples reflected on the floor by the PBR light. Usually they show up in render. Any ideas? File attached. Thank you.

Light Reflection Issue.c4d

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

Why are you using a PBR light with standard Render ? Those lights are for ProRender only. However, you have no PBR lights in your scene - just a standard Area light, and I can't see any of the rippling you are talking about... pls screenshot that for us...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Here is the picture. I’m talking about the blue ripples. 

Ripples.tif

• Topic Author
  • For some reason the png screenshot is worse. It shows a rainbow of those ripples. Here it is.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 1.16.15 PM.png

• Topic Author
  • And I need the sky's texture tag left on spherical projection please. It doesn’t show ripples in frontal but I’m not interested with that. Thank you.

• Topic Author
  • It has to be a simple tweak either in light settings or render- antialiasing, but I just can’t find it myself.

1 hour ago, Tesa Demiur said:

It has to be a simple tweak either in light settings or render- antialiasing, but I just can’t find it myself.

Nope, it is not a simple setting, and you can't find it because it isn't there ! This happens when your monitor cannot display a colour between 2 that it can.

This is a well-known and specific phenomenon called Colour Banding, and is something that happens in all graphics software with all images with gradients like this. If you are using 8-bit image formats for web, you simply cannot avoid this completely, but may be able to mitigate it with a noise based on 50% grey in soft light mode over the grad, within a layer shader.

You will also find it less of a problem in 16 -bit files because they have greater dynamic range.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I've already tried 16-bit renders the same picture. Can you attach my file with your settings to see how it renders in my computer? Thank you.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • ok, thank you for your time.