Sign in to follow this  
Smashkhaledo

How to merge spline to mesh of an object

I am gonna upload an image here to understand what i want, the spline is the part I want to remove from the mesh to make it hollow, the spline was imported from illustrator, then used projection on the object plane...why? because the boole never worked well....the whole object disappears and it takes sooooo loooong to load, and I am really in a neck of time here! 
again, the boole is a catastrophe....theoretically it could work but practically i don't know what it wrong here! 

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 18,04,40.png

Booles have never worked with splines, so no idea why you expected that to be fine...

I can't think of any way to do that without modelling it properly out of polygons based using the spline as a visual guide. Fortunately you can use symmetry multiple times to make this less hard work, but it's still going to be quite a lot...

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

Booles have never worked with splines, so no idea why you expected that to be fine...

I can't think of any way to do that without modelling it properly out of polygons based using the spline as a visual guide. Fortunately you can use symmetry multiple times to make this less hard work, but it's still going to be quite a lot...

CBR 

see the file I uploaded please, it was another attempt...
    and no...NO WAY I WOULD DRAW ALL THESE DETAILS AGAIN! 
    definitely there must be some kind of a solution which I can convert spline to edges of an object OR fix that boole problem  in the other file! 

11 hours ago, Smashkhaledo said:

definitely there must be some kind of a solution which I can convert spline to edges of an object OR fix that boole problem  in the other file! 

Your use of the word 'definitely' doesn't make it so unfortunately. Sometimes there are no shortcuts, and you can't avoid some hard work.

Even though it's a lot of point, the polygon pen and spline snap would make this as tolerably short work as it can be. I could do it in about half an hour I reckon. How long have you spent looking for lazier ways, just out of interest ? Longer than half an hour ? ;)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I have done it anyway - the easy way - I have to reduce the topology using polygon reduction as much as possible to make it simpler to apply the boole as attached....

282792340_ScreenShot2019-04-23at050407.thumb.png.f7dbf1b98b2ea0f0fa21d2594fd6e9ef.png   616168942_ScreenShot2019-04-23at050406.thumb.jpg.44f90baa3fd0c4bf705b20a4bb6e62ca.jpg

You definitely made the easy way less efficient by doing all sides at the same time. With a boole this complex it's no wonder your computer choked. One side would be enough to keep things running smooth, then just duplicate it around.

By the way, the upper portion of your lantern is flawed as you have parts connected to nothing, just floating in space. You probably want that bit the other way around.