southpaw

CAD file import tips.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the cleanest mesh possible when importing .STEP CAD files into C4D?

They import easy enough in R20, but still require a lot of clean up work before I can add any thickness (with Cloth Object or Extrude) to the mesh.

Phil Richards, www.fugidesign.co.uk

Please, could you attach some simple mesh/model/object here for testing?

God I hate those files :) If I have time and budget I rebuild wherever I can. If not, first I try various untriangulation angles, which occasionally score you quads on the first hit, but more often than not fail spectacularly in giving you anything helpful. In those cases, I try and make huge ngons with liberal melting, then go in with the knife tool making cuts I think won't cause the surfaces to fail. 

Then there's good old reliable HB modelling bundle with its amazing retopo setup, which gets used by me again and again, quickly rebuilding shittily topo'd stuff, often by just drawing a few splines all over it. And when there's millions of polys and they're all awful, then I head over to Instant Meshes to try a brute force quad and flow replacement in one hit...

So there are things to do, but even with help it can still feel like an uphill battle. I find some solace in the knowledge that I am there for the greater good, improving the standard of models and modelling in the world, one god-awful STL at a time :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • @bezo Thanks but I can't upload the file, due to contract contraints.

@Cerbera Thanks for the advice, yes I've been doig it the manual way, the untriangulate command didn't do anything useful, so I've been going through and melting points, and dissolving faces. I'll take a look at the HB Modelling and Instant Meshes though, thanks for the heads up.

Phil Richards, www.fugidesign.co.uk