Michael Rader

How to triangulate a sweep object

I can't figure out how the guy in this tutorial created such perfect looking triangle polygons. He doesn't mention how to do it. My setup looks the same as is but can't seem to get it right. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.44.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 1.42.07 PM.png

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

What if you model it straight and get the geo where you want it and then use a spline wrap to get the bends....?

Yes, I could do that, but still, I don't see a way to get such perfect looking triangles as he did. I also wanted to replicate exactly how he did it. 

I can get that result perfectly with the Poly Reduction Generator, but not, for some reason, with the deformer version. Your guy is using R20, so it's not that... confusing...

CBR

• Like 1

If you look carefully, you'll notice that every 2 triangles makes a nice quad.  Model your original tube with that number of quads.  Then put it in a Poly Reduction and set your Polygon Reduction settings to 0%.  I made mine with a Sweep, and noticed that it helps to add some rotation in the Sweep to get the right look.

Stint Model Triangles v1.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • On 4/26/2019 at 7:56 AM, natevplas said:

If you look carefully, you'll notice that every 2 triangles makes a nice quad.  Model your original tube with that number of quads.  Then put it in a Poly Reduction and set your Polygon Reduction settings to 0%.  I made mine with a Sweep, and noticed that it helps to add some rotation in the Sweep to get the right look.

Stint Model Triangles v1.c4d 342.17 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you. He is using a polygon reduction deformer though. I was wondering how he accomplished it using that. I think he did it that way because the hierarchy matters, not sure though.

It would be helpful to have a link to this tutorial...

CBR