pedrosoto

How to model this?

HI there! I'm wondering if someone can direct me to how to model this shape. (of course, with real geometry, not just extrude the shape) . I will appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

for google.jpg

I am not sure that shape is 3D, or possible in the real world - I think it's just Illustrator style shading...

However, we can do a very similar thing by sweeping either a square or pentagon splines along another larger, rounded hexagon, and utilising the rotation controls therein to spin it along its length. This is a perfectly valid modelling move  as long we don't use caps on the sweep, and set our spline interpolation to Natural on the path spline, which will give us nice even quad patches around the model whilst still acknowledging the need for a few extra edges wherever there is rounding, and few less where not. Likewise, if you edit your profile spline and give it 3 points per side you can scale those in to get concave surfaces. You can also chamfer the corners (1 segment / straight) which will give you razor sharp edges like the reference under L3 subdivision...

The difficulty there will be maintaining that profile on the outside whilst also getting a perfect circle in the center, which I am not entirely  convinced can easily happen...

CBR

Yeah, it's sort of an optical illusion, but I can imagine a real-world 3D shape for it, actually.  Pretend that they are 3 pieces of paper with slightly different colors on front and back.  One is blue/purple, one yellow/red, and one green/dark green.  Each one is rolled over on itself and cut on the edges to produce the outer and inner profile edges.  I mocked one of the pieces up for you in my file.  I'm just putting a few Bend deformers on a Plane with an Alpha mask.  I couldn't get the correct profile shape just with a gradient texture, though.  You'll probably have to create that in Illustrator or Photoshop and sort of guess and check.  Or maybe you could use the paint tools in Cinema to paint on the 3D geo for a reference, export that to a jpg, and draw over it with clean vector lines in PS or AI.  The lighting is going to have to be faked, though.  Each shadow is going in a different direction, so you'll have to cheat it with gradients.  Or maybe you could have one light for each piece and exclude the other shapes from it.

image.thumb.png.c4af53e87c1122c9cbb149abf0f6deb0.png

Hexagon Logo Model v1.c4d

Sweep a spline along a circle spline. Apply a torsion to the sweep. 

The optical illusion comes from the texture.

I’ll try to post an example of the sweep. 

3 hours ago, Adrien said:

Sweep a spline along a circle spline. Apply a torsion to the sweep. 

Yes,  this is why I didn't include a pic with my first post giving largely the same advice, because I knew the center wouldn't be circular, as indeed it isn't in the example above...  I did at least manage to keep the outer shape hexagonal though...

But all this goes to show that we should use the right tools for the job, and the tools we need to make that image are in the 2D realm... trying to make it in Cinema is going to be a largely frustrating experience, because physics.

CBR

two splines using loft , and a circular cloner, but not closer enough yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 3.48.37 AM.png

• Like 1

Well fair play. That's a lot closer than I thought you'd be able to get ! :) Please do share your setup when you succeed ! I'm intrigued to know what the splines in your loft look like in 3D space... 

Also wondering why the topology is so horrible - presumably that is because it's trying to bridge uneven numbers of polys and lengths of edges ? Not that it matters - you can always retoplogize it once you have the basic form down...

CBR

I ended up modeling actual geometry based on the loft (gif example). the c4d file was my initial set up. thanks for your help! 

cccccccccc.gif

cafe sample.c4d

• Like 4

Ah excellent - it all makes sense when you think of it as 2 halves of a whole ! :) And well done for not giving up when people like me told you it was probably impossible...

CBR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really great job, @pedrosoto!  It's a very cool 3D object.  Would make for an excellent 3D print :D

• Haha 1