Sign in to follow this  
mcdeimon

Daz to C4D soon!

Today 3dtoall has published on his instagram account this:

Soon DazToC4D

It seems that we will have it soon!

I heard that already several times. Thanks for the info, but I will believe it, when I see it :lol:

• Topic Author
  • Yes! You are right, but I hope this time it will be soon :lol:

This would be great.  Hope it happens and works well enough.

DAZ has a pretty good export function with a C4D preset already.  The export format is OBJ for which C4D has improved the import capabilities with each release.  To use, here are some general steps in DAZ:

1. Select Export in DAZ and chose OBJ
    2. On the OBJ export options, select the C4D preset
    3. Make sure that Invert Positive Direction under the X axis is checked.
    4. If you plan to render the model in C4D, then make sure that Disable Write Surfaces is NOT checked.  Otherwise, you will not get your textures.
    5. On OBJ import into C4D, make sure that Flip Z Axis in NOT checked.

Now, this is just for the models and textures.  I do find that lights do not transfer as well but I always redo the lighting in C4D anyway.  I also rework the textures and clean up some of the modeling so it not one-click easy as these directions imply - there is some work to do afterwards.  As I do not do character animation, I cannot speak to how well those items can be imported or if they can be imported (Riptide Pro users will need to chime in here). 

So if you are waiting for a plugin or for the resurrection of Riptide Pro (whatever became of that plugin?), that does not mean there is no path from Daz to C4D....there is a path but you have to work on it a bit....but that is half the fun.

Dave

I worked on a way to get Daz figures to C4D more than a year ago via FBX. You get a weighted mesh with bones, but some things are not imported by C4D (e.g. default orientation of the joints). You can get the joint controlled morphs, but the connection to the joints have to be done manually via Xpresso. Such a Daz to C4D plugin shall support all these things, so posing can be done directly in C4D. Similar things already exist for Maya and Blender.

Yeah, with Kuroyume's Poser import plugin long-dead, C4D's needed a decent Daz3D importer that fully processes and connects up available morphs, articulation, and so forth.  I'll gladly purchase a license ASAP if this effort ever comes to fruition.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:44 AM, jwiede said:

Yeah, with Kuroyume's Poser import plugin long-dead, C4D's needed a decent Daz3D importer that fully processes and connects up available morphs, articulation, and so forth.  I'll gladly purchase a license ASAP if this effort ever comes to fruition.

Hey John

I can highly recommend the People in Motion R2.0.1 Plugin for C4D (works in R20 with the Insydium bridge).

You can load a DAZ character via FBX import and select the DAZ rig (as well as other rig formats). It supports up to Genesis 3, for Genesis 8 you have to perform minor rotation corrections in order to be in T-Pose, but I export Gen8 characters with a T-Pose from DAZ, so that works as well.

All morphs are included (for example facial morphs), if you included them in the FBX export (you can create a template in DAZ for exporting the required morphs).

The People in Motion plugin can automatically create IK objects, offers a walk cycle generator, various poses and basic crowd functionality (stairs, escalators, chairs etc.).

Textures need to be corrected a little (adding bump / normal maps, change some transparencies etc). In order to get the missing maps from the FBX export I use the DAZ Alembic exporter which collects all the maps used in DAZ Studio.

I created some python code for myself to automate this and had it in mind to maybe publish a plugin one day but it would require some more development. However if the 3dtoAll plugin will have this functionality I will get it instead.

Cheers

On 5/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Marander said:

Hey John

I can highly recommend the People in Motion R2.0.1 Plugin for C4D (works in R20 with the Insydium bridge).

You can load a DAZ character via FBX import and select the DAZ rig (as well as other rig formats). It supports up to Genesis 3, for Genesis 8 you have to perform minor rotation corrections in order to be in T-Pose, but I export Gen8 characters with a T-Pose from DAZ, so that works as well.

All morphs are included (for example facial morphs), if you included them in the FBX export (you can create a template in DAZ for exporting the required morphs).

The People in Motion plugin can automatically create IK objects, offers a walk cycle generator, various poses and basic crowd functionality (stairs, escalators, chairs etc.).

Textures need to be corrected a little (adding bump / normal maps, change some transparencies etc). In order to get the missing maps from the FBX export I use the DAZ Alembic exporter which collects all the maps used in DAZ Studio.

I created some python code for myself to automate this and had it in mind to maybe publish a plugin one day but it would require some more development. However if the 3dtoAll plugin will have this functionality I will get it instead.

Cheers

Seems to be an interesting approach, but...

- What about HD morphs?

- What about joint controlled morphs? They are controlled by ERCLinks.

Thanks for the information though. I already thought about just exporting the OBJ and re-rig it. As I use Vray I have to redo the maps anyway.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:12 PM, Visionnext said:

Seems to be an interesting approach, but...

- What about HD morphs?

- What about joint controlled morphs? They are controlled by ERCLinks.

Thanks for the information though. I already thought about just exporting the OBJ and re-rig it. As I use Vray I have to redo the maps anyway.

About the joint controlled morphs I don't know, never used it.

Yes DAZ HD morphs can only be exported via OBJ export in DAZ unfortunately. But for animation the high poly object might be too heavy anyway.

If you need all the details you could export as OBJ and bake into normal maps (if the existing ones are not sufficient) and then use the exported FBX with the baked maps.

18 hours ago, Marander said:

About the joint controlled morphs I don't know, never used it.

Yes DAZ HD morphs can only be exported via OBJ export in DAZ unfortunately. But for animation the high poly object might be too heavy anyway.

If you need all the details you could export as OBJ and bake into normal maps (if the existing ones are not sufficient) and then use the exported FBX with the baked maps.

Some of the JCMs are quite useful as they correct deformations or can be used for bulging muscles.

I'd love to bake the hires OBJ into a B&W displacement map. Just don't know, how to do that.

7 hours ago, Visionnext said:

Some of the JCMs are quite useful as they correct deformations or can be used for bulging muscles.

I'd love to bake the hires OBJ into a B&W displacement map. Just don't know, how to do that.

ShaderMap 4 can convert a normal map to displacement (height) map.