Bolos

Anyone using a Hackintosh too here ?

I finally bought a GTX 1080 Ti to add on top of my GTX 770 but the OS doesn’t recognize it. I also tried it on Linux (Elementary OS) since I’m also interested by Blender and i have the same problem there.

After some research and help in various places, someone came to the conclusion that the problem lies on the BIOS or the card itself. Fans and lights on the card are running though. I tried to look at the BIOS but I don’t even see any mention of the 770 there and finally opened up a support ticket on the Gigabyte support.

But I noticed that people helping me were kinda surprised of me trying to use 2 cards on the same build, so I thought I could drop a line about that here since some of you may use multiple cards.

i guess it could be easier to install Windows but I have privacy concerns.

Thanks for reading.

Not sure about mac, but Windows 10 privacy is supposed to be pretty good.

13 hours ago, Bolos said:

i guess it could be easier to install Windows but I have privacy concerns

I'm on Windows 10 and use a program called ShutUp10. There's checkboxes to turn off various telemetry, privacy and other stuff - I have everything disabled except updates, Defender and camera + mic.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input @jed & @Fastbee. I finally installed Windows and it recognized the GTX 1080 Ti from scratch but when I rebooted in macOS, it recognized it too.

But I have a new problem, the 1080 is heating between 79°C & 84°C during rendering. I talked about that on Discord and searched about it on the internet too and I have different answers. Some say it’s normal, some not, so i’m A bit confused. This morning I also went to an hardware shop looking for fans, but the manager told me that adding fans is a good idea but won’t help much reducing heat and that these temps I experienced are normal for such a card. He said that when it’s still below 90°C, there’s no need to worry.

So i’d Like to hear your thought about that too. Thanks :)

More fans - one in, one out - is probably a good idea.

If you graphics card has fans that blow out the slot of the card you don't need fans at all.  If your card blows into the case you need to have some fans on the case to make sure the heat goes out of the case.

Thanks for your comments guys. So I added 2 fans, one in the front of the case, plus another in the back. But the GPU still heat exactly the same, between 79 and 80°C. (I made another renders before adding fans and the GPU was between 79 and 80°C)

However I think it helped a lot the CPU, cooling it from 60/70°C to 50/60°C. I also made a long render (1 hour 35 min) and the GPU never went up 80°C.

So I guess there's not much I can do to lower temps of the GPU ?

The GPU probably adjusts its fan speed according to temp - maybe 80C is the target. How is the CPU cooled - screw-on heat sink fan or water ? Regular coolers just dump the cpu heat in the box, so more fans should drop the cpu temp. Water takes the heat outside, so is less affected by another pair of fans.

The CPU is cooled with a Noctua Master Cooler heat sink. I had one fan in the front and two fans on the CPU heat sink, so none in the back of the case. So added one in the back of the case and another in the front.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, Bolos said:

Thanks for your input @jed & @Fastbee. I finally installed Windows and it recognized the GTX 1080 Ti from scratch but when I rebooted in macOS, it recognized it too.

But I have a new problem, the 1080 is heating between 79°C & 84°C during rendering. I talked about that on Discord and searched about it on the internet too and I have different answers. Some say it’s normal, some not, so i’m A bit confused. This morning I also went to an hardware shop looking for fans, but the manager told me that adding fans is a good idea but won’t help much reducing heat and that these temps I experienced are normal for such a card. He said that when it’s still below 90°C, there’s no need to worry.

So i’d Like to hear your thought about that too. Thanks :)

That's about the temps I was hitting, upper 70's / lower 80's on my MacPro5,1 that has a Macvideocards flashed 1080fe (8Gb) in it. Was running some very intense Octane renders for about 2 weeks straight. I did put a large box style fan in front of the tower though to try and cool it off some. It did drop it a few degrees on average, but still not far off from your temps.