Sign in to follow this  
mikoian

Asteroid impact simulation

How to make something like this in Cinema 4D?
Especially I am referring at the moment of the impact (the shockwave, then the debris rising into air around the impact).

I have tried something (see below) using Voronoi Fracture and TurbulenceFD, but it is far from reality. The planet just doesn't break apart like that.

Any ideas?

Thank you. 

asteroid-impact.jpg

Moon_impact.png

If you have TFD you should be able to do this. I don't have that, so can't advise there. But the problem with your Fracture is that it contains about a 100th of the amount of pieces it needs to begin to look that large... but keep going along those lines - I think this is generally the way to go to get this done...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

If you have TFD you should be able to do this. I don't have that, so can't advise there. But the problem with your Fracture is that it contains about a 100th of the amount of pieces it needs to begin to look that large... but keep going along those lines - I think this is generally the way to go to get this done...

CBR

I understand, but still I have questions about how to produce that shockwave of fire and smoke...

With TFD you can easily produce a shockwave that appears as a ring of smoke and fire. If you look for the crater-forming splash, then is more a liquid effect like you could do it with X-particles fluid effects or RealFlow, then render the splash with incandescent shaders or similar materials. 

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, ZChristian said:

With TFD you can easily produce a shockwave that appears as a ring of smoke and fire. If you look for the crater-forming splash, then is more a liquid effect like you could do it with X-particles fluid effects or RealFlow, then render the splash with incandescent shaders or similar materials. 

I don' have X-Particles but I do have Realflow...I just saw how to make a splash here (the thing is that I don't want to do this on Earth where is water...I was thinking of a kind of splash but on the ground): 

Edit: I found a tutorial for a TurbulenceFD shockwave but in another language: 

If you have RealFlow then you can easily make an impact with a spherical emitter as droplet and resting liquid below in a container. Such impacts could be done in slow motion, even slower than in my example below. 

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, ZChristian said:

If you have RealFlow then you can easily make an impact with a spherical emitter as droplet and resting liquid below in a container. Such impacts could be done in slow motion, even slower than in my example below. 

How do you make that when you only have ground, not water :)?

With this method you don't use a ground but use a still liquid for the surface mesh. In this way the impacting droplet is able to excavate a crater.  You could also work with a single mesh that you would make editable and remove the rim that represents the final situation of a deep crater before it flows back. 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, ZChristian said:

With this method you don't use a ground but use a still liquid for the surface mesh. In this way the impacting droplet is able to excavate a crater.  You could also work with a single mesh that you would make editable and remove the rim that represents the final situation of a deep crater before it flows back

You mean to use liquid on top of the ground?

Not sure this part either: "remove the rim that represents the final situation of a deep crater before it flows back"

I am thinking about an approach where you combine several elements together: 

1) The TFD-simulation provides a ring of fire/smoke and smoke-trails for ejected debris 

2) A RealFlow simulation of an impact that gives you a series of meshes that look like a crater and splash that is ejected from the impact site and falls back to the ground. 

3) A surface that shows a crater after the impact and that shape could be a frozen mesh from the RealFlow simulation (and from the shape you could cut away by modelling a higher rim structure so that it looks like the final stage) 

If you want to destroy the entire planet, then that is a different thing and you may not need a liquid simulation of an impact splash. 

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, ZChristian said:

I am thinking about an approach where you combine several elements together: 

1) The TFD-simulation provides a ring of fire/smoke and smoke-trails for ejected debris 

2) A RealFlow simulation of an impact that gives you a series of meshes that look like a crater and splash that is ejected from the impact site and falls back to the ground. 

3) A surface that shows a crater after the impact and that shape could be a frozen mesh from the RealFlow simulation (and from the shape you could cut away by modelling a higher rim structure so that it looks like the final stage) 

If you want to destroy the entire planet, then that is a different thing and you may not need a liquid simulation of an impact splash. 

Yes, I want to blow up the entire planet pretty much...but I wanted the first frames to look like the first frames from the original video I posted above.

You don't need any plugins at all for the wavefront (left arrow, second pic). You can do that with a swept circle spline in a group with an (animated) noise-driven displacer, and that group used as a collider for a collision deformer applied to the sphere...

wavefront.gif.b44ff564b64a68d82015f3f67aec7219.gif

This one is just a proof of concept - yours would have much higher segmentation in both the sphere, and the sweep, and would be considerably more subtle than this :) You could further develop that to include a spreading displacement that expands behind the wavefront, and do the initial crater via an additional collider...

CBR