Sign in to follow this  
WOLF

Record realtime user data to keyframes?

Hi all!

In the process of looking at a space mouse (3d conexxion pilot specifically)...and was wondering whether there's a function in C4D to record user data to keyframes?

The idea is that i want to animate my camera moves using the spacemouse while flying through the scene in realtime.

So, is there a script/plugin or something like capuccino (back couple yrs ago) that records and converts that user data to keyframes, which i can edit further if i have to?

Thank you for all the help in advance,

Cheers!

- WOLF

Cappucino still exists and does exactly what you're lookging for.

You'll find it in 'Character' -> 'Manager', it's designed for this sort of thing.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my new Space Mouse Pro.  For some reason, it doesn't work with Cappuccino...

If I click "Start Realtime" and move the camera with the traditional mouse, it records fine.  BUT if I do the same with the Space Mouse, nothing gets recorded.  I tried placing the camera in a Null object and switching the 3DConnexion settings (under Tools) to "Move."  Then I selected the Null to record instead, but still no luck.

Has anyone had success with this?  I think it could be a really powerful tool if the movement can be recorded!

@Cerbera have you gotten this to work before?

4 minutes ago, natevplas said:

@Cerbera have you gotten this to work before?

No. That only seems to record mouse input unfortunately...

CBR

Sad news!  Anybody out there aware of a plugin or something that would make this possible?

In my brief googling I could find only one convoluted way.  Find a way to convert 3D connexion to midi with something like this.

https://github.com/skwerner/MIDINavigator

and then use camgrip tools plugin to get midi in.  I think it is able to record keyframes although I haven't tried it.  It would be nice if it supported 3D mouse directly.

Thanks, @stoecklem!  Unfortunately I'm on Windows, so even that won't work.  I'll write a feature request to MAXON.

Ok, I found a work-around that almost works.  I found another thread that mentioned trying AutoKeying.  For some reason Autokeying doesn't work if you just directly move the camera with the Space Mouse.  To get around this, I changed the 3DConnexion settings to "Move" and placed my camera inside a null object.  Then I turned the Autokey switch on, selected my Null, and pressed play.  I can move the camera around and keyframes get recorded.  The only catch is that the playhead pauses whenever you start moving.  So, you essentially just make rough keyframes as you go.

I found it's pretty fun to do this with objects in your scene.  I think it could produce some nice organic movement that would be a pain to keyframe normally.

I'm in the process of rewriting my Control4D plugin for R20.  It's a free plugin, works with 3D Connexion devices and can record their input in real time.  Shoot me a DM and I'll be sure to notify you when my first alpha builds are ready.

If you're using R14-19 you can just grab the current version from my site (link in sig).

Caveat when working with 3D Connexion devices:

The 3D Connexion driver conflicts with input directly through Control4D but you can still use it with the inbuilt Space Mouse features of c4d, just put a Control4D tag on the object you want to animate and activate PSR recording and it will record your realtime animations just the same:)  If you want to use your 3D Connexion devices directly with Control4D you have to disable/uninstall the 3D Connexion driver.  

• Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, kvb said:

I'm in the process of rewriting my Control4D plugin for R20.  It's a free plugin, works with 3D Connexion devices and can record their input in real time.  Shoot me a DM and I'll be sure to notify you when my first alpha builds are ready.

If you're using R14-19 you can just grab the current version from my site (link in sig).

Caveat when working with 3D Connexion devices:

The 3D Connexion driver conflicts with input directly through Control4D but you can still use it with the inbuilt Space Mouse features of c4d, just put a Control4D tag on the object you want to animate and activate PSR recording and it will record your realtime animations just the same:)  If you want to use your 3D Connexion devices directly with Control4D you have to disable/uninstall the 3D Connexion driver.  

Im 100% in my friend, that sounds incredible...much thanks.