EAlexander Sketch Book 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First renders off the new laptop.  Model by CG Trader - rendered with Corona.

More real fake lighting instruments.

One more and the raw setup.

6 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Man your renders are always so clean... please teach me 😁

Thanks - o big secrets over here.  I use corona (which is awesome) and has a very nice denoiser.  Most of these shots are rendered in about 6-7 minutes on a 10 core windows machine - so no magic there.  I use area lights for everything and try to use lights more then HDRI whenever possible.  Just gives me more control.  When I have a few moments I'll post a scene file you can dig around in (though you'll need Corona).  Thanks for looking and always happy to answer any questions.

-evan

• Community Staff
3 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Thanks - o big secrets over here.  I use corona (which is awesome) and has a very nice denoiser.  Most of these shots are rendered in about 6-7 minutes on a 10 core windows machine - so no magic there.  I use area lights for everything and try to use lights more then HDRI whenever possible.  Just gives me more control.  When I have a few moments I'll post a scene file you can dig around in (though you'll need Corona).  Thanks for looking and always happy to answer any questions.

-evan

That'd be super great! Lighting is the one thing I still struggle with a lot, granted I haven't invested too much time into actually perfecting it.

Simple question, do you work on these renders afterwards in Photoshop or something similar? Or do you use the renders as they are?

I feel like Corona NAILS those rough surfaces like no other engine, looks silky smooth.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Yes - I always do post work.  Almost all images have an exposure adjustment layer to get the brightness/darkness balanced.  I usually add a color balance adjustment layer as well to play with warming or cooling the image off more.   Then lots of these have a Color Lookup adjustment layer (LUT) applied.  The more you do it the more you know when you have to get it done in 3d and when you can do it in post.

I save out everything as PSD 16bit from Cinema and sometimes I run the Camera Raw Filter, but I like to keep adjustment layers so I can keep tweaking with ease.  Color grading can really push your images, so getting that into your workflow is important.  I also have Magic Bullet Looks and use that sometimes.  I find it's Chromatic Aberration to be superior to Photoshop.

For lighting I suggest studying cinematography of film.  I'm trained as a stage and opera designer and I'm married to a lighting designer, so lighting is a big part of my life all around.  Take a look at Matthew Scotts' website - under lighting he shows commercial shots and setups and then diagrams the lighting - really great way to see it in action:  http://mattscottvisuals.com/lighting

And - as always - just make as many images as you can and put them out there in the world.