03_05_Aston_Shot02_out.jpg

03_05_Aston_Shot01_out.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Redshift volumetric testing. 

03_09_Bike_vol_v01_out.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Redshift

03_11_Concrete_v01_out.jpg

Interesting seeing your archviz stuff in a different engine. Really shows how different engines have their own look.

Hi EAlexander, do you have any clear conclusions on Redshift compared to Corona yet?

I'm really interested in image quality and ease of use rather than render speed. (I'm a stills guy)

I'm using Corona on my laptop as I'm mac based - and am very happy with it. But was wondering if there was much to be gained by adding Redshift to my home workstation?

Love the sketchbook BTW

• Topic Author
  • Thanks! 

I think image quality is more about the user then the engine. Think of it like a photographer using a Nikon for some shots and a Canon for others. 

Technically speaking, Corona is much much easier to use with much less input needed. Redshift has a steeper learning curve and a different philosophy on fine controls for all aspects. I also think that Corona is better intigrafed with the traditional Cinema workflow. 

I still use Corona for my professional work. I added Redshift mainly for Volumetrics, which Corona is quite poor at. I now have clients using Redshift on our current project, hence the deeper dive. In learning it more, I've found that, for me, Redshift does bump and dispacment better, but it's not a show stopper for Corona by any means. 

Redshift will only really pay off if you have a good GPU set up, but if you are happy with Corona, keep going. Once I committed to Corona and really learned it, I could focus more on the design and lighting, and less on "rendering". Corona remains my go to for most jobs. 

• Topic Author
  • IMG_20200320_212912_890.jpg

IMG_20200323_184712_907.jpg

IMG_20200322_143428_179.jpg